stop chattering

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bastion, Feb 28, 2013.

1. bastion

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I am new to electronics and I know there must be a solution to my problem.

I have a contact switch that though an acuatar when it makes contact it starts a boiler up for central hearting. The contact when it get close to closeing it chatters this is messing up the boilers PCB by giving it a doggy supply in the first second. Is there some thing electronic I could put in the feed to the boiler from the contacts that would stop this from happening (the voltage is 240v AC).

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    A solid state relay maybe? Depends on how much current you need.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Increase "actuator" speed to decrease switching speed?
    Slow switching speed can also destroy the contacts fairly quickly. Arcing causes pitting/carbon buildup,etc.. Switch fast.

But yes not sure why you must use an actuator of sorts.. Just remove the actuator and use that signal to energize a relay instead or whatever.

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I think you might need to add some hysteresis to the system. Can you provide a circuit diagram of some kind and indicate which portions you can tinker with?

5. bastion

Feb 28, 2013
    Can't control the actuator speed as it's fix to a three way motorized valve. This stops the boiler from cooking it's self i.e. full heat with the valve in a bypass mode water not going though the boiler.

6. bastion

Feb 28, 2013

Only the lead from the contacts

7. bastion

Feb 28, 2013
    Would a "snubber" be the right thing to use?

If so how do I woke out what value one to use?

8. bastion

Feb 28, 2013
  9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Why not simply use the valve control voltage/signal to directly trigger a relay eliminating the limit switch all together.

or buy a limit switch with a lesser "chatter time" or contact design to eliminate chatter.. This is one reason some switches cost $20 and some cost $500+..

10. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    It sounds like the "snap action" of your switch isn't "snapping". You should be able to feel it if you move the actuator manually. You need a new switch!

11. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    use a delay on timer set for a couple of seconds

bastion likes this.