Stock up on produce prices are about to go through the roof.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing is, look at the distances you have to travel. The USA it the 3rd largest country by land volume, around 4200 miles or 6800 Km coast to coast. The state of Texas (and several others) are larger than whole countries, places like Italy, Britain, or France come to mind. I am under the impression Europeans don't routinely drive from country to country, though I could be wrong. Our whole infrastructure, right or wrong, is geared around our roads.

Where the USA economy goes, the world follows, at least if it is going down. China has been able to stand alone, but I wonder if they can continue to do this if no one is buying their goods.

The good news is there are several possible alternate fuel sources out there, this could be the shove that breaks the oil monopoly (though it will be the oil companies making the new fuels).

I also get the feeling a lot of people forget the taxes on gas are to support our infrastructure. People keep complaining about the government, but there are a lot of services that only they can provide. Texas has been outsourcing some of this infrastructure in the form of toll roads. 25 miles cost around $7 one way, I go around.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It may be $8.50 a gallon over there, but how much of that is taxes?

Attached is a State-by-State fuel excise tax update.

It is unfair for them to include the "sales" tax on a per gallon rate as it's basis is the retail price and not a gallon.
26 cents for Alaska. I guess that is the "pre-pipeline" cost.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thats the way it used to work. I think were gonna have to face the fact that era may be over forever. Right now S. Asia is the largest consumer base. Theres been a lot of talk that they are gonna start getting all the perks we used to get.
Don't think so, but we'll see.