STM32 compiler

Poul Meinhard Poulsen

Joined Oct 27, 2014
Hello

I have a STM32F334 Discovery board and followed the accompanying documentation and tried the IAR embedded workbench, to be capable of analysing some code, but im just wondering if there is a 'easier' compiler to use, when just running and looking at the code on the STM32 board.

I know that the accompanying documentation, which came with the board, had two other compilers, but I thought that it would be easier to ask people, about their experience with the compilers.

So the main question is:
Which compiler suits best to the STM32F334 Discovery board?
Which is the 'easiest' to use?
and which compiler would you recommend?

Best Regards
Poul M. H. Poulsen

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Unfortunately there is an inverse relationship between "ease of use" and cost. The IAR compilers and the associated IDE are easy to use but cost a small fortune. The GNU compiler collection is hard to use but free, as in beer.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I use CooCox (CoIDE) . It's free and has no code size limit. Its slightly crappier than the proper professional ones like IAR but I use it because
it's really easy to load the peripherals libraries. You just bring up a window and check the boxes of the peripherals that you need and ... poof , it's done.

rstevenson

Joined Apr 5, 2011
I also use CooCox. I only switched because of code size limitations in Atollic Truestudio. I definitely liked TrueStudio better than CooCox but you get what you pay for (both free)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What I said about the IAR compiler was kind of an inside joke. It means roughly that the IAR compiler is the most expensive, but not necessarily the best. In other words there are better compilers and they cost less.