Stereo started smoking!!!!!!!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have good news and bad news. Good news is that i found out what the problem is. Bad neas is is that it's a burnt resistor and i dont know what value it is
Chances are the resistor burned when the power supply failed. I'd look for more--a resistor doesn't just burn up for no reason. Keep looking for blown capacitors, fried traces, popped transistors, etc.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Well, the upper limit on "one hell of a time" is the $15 manual I linked to. Looking better every moment?

+1 on that resistor NOT being the root cause, btw.
Yeah i was looking at the power supply board and it looks pretty dirty on the bottom. And as much as i hate to do it, im gomna have to buy that $15 manual

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Where is the post where the make and link was posted? I must be losing my marbles or mods are playing tricks on us.

What is the make and model?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My bad. I may have confused this with the Sony thread. More rum and lime for my friends, it's raining buckets here for the first time in months!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's one roasted resistor!

In the final photo, is that blue wire possibly shorted to the cap terminal?

Those transistors on the heat sink look to me like someone other than Sony has been working there. All that thermal paste doesn't look professional. Not that this helps you.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
That's one roasted resistor!

In the final photo, is that blue wire possibly shorted to the cap terminal?

Those transistors on the heat sink look to me like someone other than Sony has been working there. All that thermal paste doesn't look professional. Not that this helps you.
I don't know. are you talking about the two blue wires in the top right hand corner, the wire to the left of that, or the wire on the far left

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ur amp is like a haystack, can't make which leads to where.

U can start by checking for shorted diodes and transistors.
Do u know how ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Okay then find a diode, two or three will do.
I'll show u how to test them.

And post a photo with diodes and ur multimeter. So I know what I am dealing with

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
My mistake..go thru this

The meter reading will never show zero as stated in the first pictures. If u get 0V then the junction is shorted.

Any voltage outside the range 0.4V to 0.7V is not considered correct in forward bias connection

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
My mistake..go thru this

The meter reading will never show zero as stated in the first pictures. If u get 0V then the junction is shorted.

Any voltage outside the range 0.4V to 0.7V is not considered correct in forward bias connection
so basically I just put the positive lead of the multimeter on the P-type material and the negative lead on the n-type