Stereo Sorter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by noingwhat, Dec 29, 2010.

1. noingwhat

Thread Starter Member

Jul 23, 2010
    I Have a general idea of what I want to build, but I have no clue how to even begin to approach it (I'm still a total newbie to circuitry).

What I want to do is create some sort of circuit so that it will sort the audio in my stereo between four different speakers. I want to have a "center" which will actually be just the left and right very close together, a "Left" channel and a "right" channel. and using this circuit it will sort the audio between these four speakers. The two center channel speakers will always have the same volume, and depending on the variety of volume between the two channels it will send either more or less audio to the center speakers.

So if the left speaker have a volume (voltage, v) of 5 ,and the right speaker=5, then I want my circuit to sort all of the audio into the two center channels.

If the left is 5 and the right is 0, I want the circuit to send 5 volts to the left speaker and nothing to the right or center.

If the left is 5 and the right is 2,the output should be 3 in the right channel, 2 in both center channels, and 0 in the right.

Sorry, if this is kind of confusing, I am trying to figure out a good way to explain this, it makes sense in my head and on paper, but it is hard to put into words. Maybe this can help explain it a little better:

[​IMG]

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    My head is spinning !! :confused:

I can't hardly understand what you are up to.
    Care to put it in lament terms

3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

4. noingwhat

Thread Starter Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Sorry, I can't really figure out a good way to explain it. I am basically trying to build a circuit that can change stero (2 channel) audio, into three. Left, Center and right. It will sort it out based on the volume for the left and right channel. Does that help at all?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Back in the cave man days, "3 point stereo" was invented. The center channel was made of left plus right, as in, you don't even need two speakers in the front and center. As for sending different levels to each speaker depending on the levels of certain instruments or voices...you gotta be kidding. I must have read that wrong.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    AAhh! ..U want a surround sound processor..:D

For center channel you will need a DSP to provide wide stereo to the center from LR speakers

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You might be right, but it's so confusing! Who could guess if a surround sound processor would do what was described?

8. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    What OP want is impossible but surround is what OP is talking abt.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Trade mark: Dolby

Probably have to buy it retail.

10. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Bingo!! :D

OP is way over his bucket.

11. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    All depends on your stereo amp, in the old tube days some even had a center channel output.

You can buy a decent 5+1 surround receiver for next to nothing on eBay, craigslist or about anywhere else for that matter. If you're local to the US you can often find them for free on craigslist or freecycle.

Also possible to put some 4 or 8 ohm resistors from your existing L & R + terminals to a center speaker + but anything not in phase will cancel out.