Stereo Plug's extra cable

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wql, Jan 6, 2011.

1. wql

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi,

I working on this project which I am using a transceiver to transmit analog signals generated from the signal generator. I am planning to use the external MIC connector to connect the signal generator to it with the help of a stereo plug cable with the other end as a pair of crocodile clips to clip to the signal generator. But the external MIC connector is meant for stereo plug cables. So my question is to ask what should I do with the extra third cable of the stereo plug cable cause my signal generator only require two cables (for the signal and ground)?

Thanks

Regards

2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    Connect the right and left stereo channels together. Probably the "tip" and "ring" of your stereo jack. Or is your microphone input a different kind of plug?

3. wql

Jan 6, 2011
    But if lets say my stereo jack has 3 cables coming out from the base of it. Is it alright if I connect the L and R cables together, and connect this combine cable to the same signal generated?

4. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    Quite alright!

5. wql

Jan 6, 2011
    Okay, thanks a lot! :)

6. wql

Jan 6, 2011
    hi again, I just realised that schematic diagrams shows that for the middle connector (in middle the two ring), there is power supplied from its internal 3V line through a 100 ohms resistor. So I don't think is alright to connect that channel to the signal generator?