Stepping through IC chips one by one for troubleshooting

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by harrison2015, Apr 30, 2015.

1. harrison2015

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2015
    If I turn off the circuit board and I print out the datasheets for every logic chips and analog IC chip and use an external power supply to apply directly to the power pins ( +VCC and ground pin of an IC chip ) to tests its inputs and output. Stepping through troubleshooting each IC chip one at a time with the circuit boards power supply off and nothing else turned on. I'm just stepping through each IC chip one at a time applying voltage to the VCC and ground using an external power supply and then using a logic pulser or function generator to test the inputs and using an oscilloscope to monitor the outputs of the chip. Can this be done?

The Board is turned off and I'm not using the circuit boards power supply. I'm using an external power supply to apply directly to the IC chip that I want to test, check, verify and troubleshoot. I will tests its inputs using a logic pulser or function generator and monitor the output pins using an oscilloscope. Troubleshooting each IC like this one by one. Can this be done?

2. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Think about what you're asking. If all of the power pins of the chips are connected together and you apply power to one, what do you think will happen?

Probably not.

3. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    the proper way is to get familiar with what the board is doing. look for where the signal should be, and see if it is there, if not, check the signals going in to the chip to see if they should be there. a lot of times, board failures will be input chips or output chips. look for improper logic levels (floats) these usually indicate a bad chip driving that line.

4. harrison2015

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2015
    True it will. but how else can you step through each IC chip and verify the inputs and outputs?

To inject the inputs with either a logic pulser or function generator
    To monitor the outputs using an oscilloscope

When measure the resistance of +VCC to ground, what should a good Logic +VCC to ground resistance be? and other resistance power +VCC rails to ground?

Some Boards +VCC rail to ground is 1K , 800 ohms , 450 ohms.

5. harrison2015

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2015
    What should be the resistance range from +VCC to ground when there is no problems with a circuit board?

6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    That's like asking how much gas will go into a tank. It all depends.....