Stepper motors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bobthefitter, Mar 17, 2013.

1. bobthefitter

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Hi , excuse the spelling. I have an idea for building a automated box joint tool. I wish to drive a threaded rod a precise number of turns, repatable. Operate via push button and return to start at end of travel.I would like to reprograme the number of revolutions to suit the size of box joint. Any pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. I can read:

2. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    One of my 'other' hobbies is woodworking. Sounds like a very interesting project.

Do you have experience in building circuits, working with micro controllers?
    It will require using a micro-controller if you want the functionality needed for this.

Here's something to look at.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/400

Another possibly route would be to investigate CNC.
    Lots of info on that. You would need a PC to run it, but there are lots of ready made products and software to accomplish this.

Edit: For the Cnc route I'm thinking you could use just part of the functionality - drive one leadscrew instead of 2 or 3, but never done this myself.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    bobthefitter and Metalmann like this.
  3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    If you can program a PIC microcontroller, then your application is the type of thing the Linistepper kit was designed for, it has a PIC micro AND a stepper motor power stage all on one PCB;
    http://www.piclist.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/index.htm

If you can't program a micro, you can use any common stepper motor driver, and feed it with an exact number of pulses each time you press a button. That could possibly be done with an oscillator and some digital counter IC(s) but is much easier with a micro. :)

bobthefitter likes this.
  4. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
  5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    tubeguy and bobthefitter like this.
  6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    As previously posted, a microcontroller would be ideal for this. I am currently learning to program PICs, which are very versatile. However, there is a product line called PICAXE, which I have previously used. It is very easy and inexpensive to get started with. Check out www.picaxe.com.

bobthefitter likes this.
  7. bobthefitter

Mar 17, 2013
    Have had experience with circuit building and desiegn with orientation towards timers and flip flops. Would like to investigate further the pic route. Please accept my thanks for your time

8. bobthefitter

Mar 17, 2013
    Metalmann likes this.
  9. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    Another thought.
    Do the project in steps - start with a digital counter (using a MCU) for the revolutions,
    then later on add the stepper motor drive and other features.
    It could be a good start to learn programming.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    bobthefitter likes this.
  10. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    The puzzle looks familiar, I remember that I play the puzzle before, that's my elder brother bought from Canada, he couldn't get the answer, but when I tried to take apart of them, I felt that it's not so hard.

bobthefitter and Metalmann like this.
  11. bobthefitter

Mar 17, 2013
    many thanks Mr Tubeguy for your additional thoughts. starting with a rev counting system sound good. what,s an MCU.

12. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I think that MCU is a microcontroller. But that's not what I wanted to post about.

I built an egg turner for my incubator that used a stepper motor turning a threaded rod. I knew the threads per inch and I knew how far I wanted to move the carrier that was connected to the rod. I calculated the number of steps required to turn the rod the correct number of turns to move the carrier the required distance and programmed that into a PICAXE.

I had it push the carrier at noon, pull the carrier at 6 pm, push the carrier at midnight and pull the carrier at 6 am, thus turning the eggs four times per day. It ran like that for 21 days and was still in perfect adjustment.

I think that you may be planning something similar, and I thought you might be interested in my little experience.

bobthefitter likes this.
  13. bobthefitter

Mar 17, 2013
    my eventual aim is to cut 12mm eventual along width of board. 4 boards to be cut at same time. 2 of these boards are offset at a distance of 12mm. Using a 1.5 thread pitch and advancing the thread by 16 turns will set castleations equi distance along board and if all has gone to plan the finger joints should match when placed at 90 degrees to each other. Although I am able to turn the thread 16 times and slide boards over dado blade on saw bench , I thought it would be nice to have a machine do the turning for me and would also give me an insight into stepper motors there control and programing. I must thank every one concerned for making me feel welcome onto your website and I will try to keep you all updated when the bulb in my head lights up