Stepper Motor, which one?

mark thorpe

Joined Jan 11, 2015
Looking for the right Stepper Motor for a project I'm building. I'm looking to construct a stop-start-stop timelapse control slider which also offers three speeds options for continuous track within the parameters of the stepper motors capabilities to avoid a gearbox system. These speeds would allow me to cover the track length in 1minute, 40 seconds and 20 seconds as the three speed options, Slow, Medium and Fast. Not being a mathematician I wouldn't know how to start about solving this issue.

Other considerations I guess are that the motor will be turning a 5mm threaded drive shaft on which the camera sled that will house a payload variance of between just 750gr and 3kg is sitting. The sled slides along a guided track on four bearing wheels so resistance is minimum, no stiction.

Given my track will be a max 1.5m long, and the sled payload differing between .75kg and max 3kg sitting on a 5mm threaded steel drive shaft what motor meeting the criteria above would be suitable and the big question being what kind of rechargeable power solution should I look at to power it, and which could be housed in the main control component of the system bearing in mind there is a microcontroller within the system that doesn't like north of 5v solutions.

Cheers in advance,
Mark.