Stepper Motor, which one?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mark thorpe, Jan 11, 2015.

1. mark thorpe

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Looking for the right Stepper Motor for a project I'm building. I'm looking to construct a stop-start-stop timelapse control slider which also offers three speeds options for continuous track within the parameters of the stepper motors capabilities to avoid a gearbox system. These speeds would allow me to cover the track length in 1minute, 40 seconds and 20 seconds as the three speed options, Slow, Medium and Fast. Not being a mathematician I wouldn't know how to start about solving this issue.

Other considerations I guess are that the motor will be turning a 5mm threaded drive shaft on which the camera sled that will house a payload variance of between just 750gr and 3kg is sitting. The sled slides along a guided track on four bearing wheels so resistance is minimum, no stiction.

Given my track will be a max 1.5m long, and the sled payload differing between .75kg and max 3kg sitting on a 5mm threaded steel drive shaft what motor meeting the criteria above would be suitable and the big question being what kind of rechargeable power solution should I look at to power it, and which could be housed in the main control component of the system bearing in mind there is a microcontroller within the system that doesn't like north of 5v solutions.

Cheers in advance,
    Mark.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. mark thorpe

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Thanks for pointing me there. Will research the hardware.