Stepper Motor Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Datrig, May 19, 2013.

1. Datrig

Thread Starter New Member

May 19, 2013
    I would really appreciate some help understanding how this stepper motor is setup. It is a 2 phase direct drive stepper motor that is powered on by a switch. There is no controller, but what looks like a relay can someone explain this to me? I would really appreciate the help.
    [​IMG]

2. timescope

Dec 14, 2011
    Are you sure it is a stepper motor ? How many wires does it have and what are the colours.

Is there a part number on it.

Timescope

3. Datrig

May 19, 2013
    I'm not sure that one is a stepper motor I was told it was. Here is the one I'm using. I am trying to recreate the one in the first picture with the one in these photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    It could be the stepper is being used as an AC synchronous motor, using a capacitor to phase shift one winding?

5. timescope

Dec 14, 2011
  6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Yep, it's definitely a standard pancake style 7.5' two-phase bipolar stepper motor, so it's either being driven by an external stepper driver or from two out of phase AC waveforms.

It is marked 5.2 ohms and 12.5 Watts, which would be a drive voltage of about 8v and 1.5A per coil.

Since the power supply would have to be something that can drive 8v and 3A total, it might be a power transformer, and the phasing capacitor might be with the power transformer.

Or, it might just have an external stepper driver module, which is missing.

7. Datrig

May 19, 2013
    Thanks to you guys I've discovered that the motor in the picture and the one I have are different. The one in the picture is a 7.2 watt sychronous motor and the one I have is a 2 phase stepper. There is no driver on the one in the picture because it is getting regular power while the stepper needs a controller and would never work in that scenario. Thank you all for your help.

8. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    A stepper is a synchronous motor. Those wattage, current values and 7.5' shown in the photo are all typical in steppers.