Stepper Motor Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by palauan73, Feb 27, 2013.

1. palauan73

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    I have a project that requires me to have a stepper motor that can open and close a window. I'm having trouble narrowing down the motor that will be best for the project. How do I know which type of stepper motor is best for the project? How many volts and amps should it be? Things like that.
  2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    It depends upon how heavy the window is, what kind of mechanical mechanism you have between the motor and window (gears, pulleys, etc), etc.
  3. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    Need to work out how much torque is required on the motor shaft. Select the motor allowing a large safety margin - think twice what you calculate.

If you are just opening and closing a window - only 2 positions on the movement - a simple DC motor might be better with 2 limit switches.

The stepper motor is needed if you want to accurately move to any position. You will still need 1 switch to "home" the motor. So that the control system "knows" where it is.
  4. palauan73

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    would a regular DC motor be better than a stepper motor? I'm thinking that accuracy isn't a necessity in opening and closing the window.
  5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Is there a hard physical limit at top and bottom?

If so, you can use the car window method.

Switch + PTC. Hold down switch until open or closed, fuse will open when motor overloads at a stop.