Stepper motor emulating analog meter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by EB255GTX, Jun 29, 2015.

1. EB255GTX

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Hey all

Does anyone know of a a library or any previous work on making stepper motors, when used to move the needle in a meter, behave more like a "real" analog meter movement? i.e. a bit of over/undershoot, acceleration proportional to rate of change of signal, a bit of averaging and so on?

I am looking to do a project involving a large "analog" meter, but the cheapest and most robust way to achieve this is with a stepper driving a needle. However just moving the needle to the new position is not very satisfying compared with the movement of a real moving coil meter, so before i embark on countless experiments and code tweaks to get a nice looking movement, i wonder if anyone knows of/has previously started/wants to help with some AVR code to libraryize this?

If i could buy a moving coil meter with a face diameter of around 200mm i would, but the stepper solution means i can change the needle or make a custom one, change the behavior via firmware, get as many or few degrees of rotation as i like, etc. It's a "better" solution in so many ways apart from the look of the movement with my simple control i.e. move to the new position at a set speed.

2. john*michael

Sep 18, 2014
    RichardO likes this.