Stepper motor driver test

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Iggylites, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Iggylites

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    I've been trying to figure out what the best way to test a driver chip is. I can always look at the output through a scope, but I was wondering if there was any other way that's more...approved of?

In the end I realize unless I have the same test sequence (ie moving the motor 30 steps in one direction over the same amount of time) I'll get varying waveforms. But maybe I can look at certain parameters that remain constant? I haven't been able to pick up much info about drivers other than spec sheets, so I don't know what I'm looking for.

Any ideas? Help? Opinions?

I have to clarify I'm completely self-taught on electronics and learn as I go along. So a lot of what I do is based on my own rationalizing of what I understand to be the way things work, and I learn on a need-to-know basis, please dont' get frustrated at some possibly insane way of looking at things I may have!
  2. rickmartin

Sep 26, 2009
    I don't know if you have time to sidestep your current project for a little hands-on, but Ramsey has a great stepper motor driver kit that might help you learn how the driver ICs work. You can see it here.