Stepper motor control.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by sherif, Dec 10, 2009.

1. sherif

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    hi all ;

I want to control a stepper motor by PLC ; can any one tell me how.

Thnx in advance.

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    what type of stepper?? Bipolar, Unipolar??

Best way to do this is to build a Stepper motor controller board with step and direction inputs, then you can easily control the stepper via PLC by just supplying pulses for how many steps to take in what direction.....

My .02

3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    First, you need a PLC with transistor outputs.
    Second, you need a stepper motor driver IC which will control the direction of the motor and the pulses applied to the motor.

4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Why a PLC with transistor outputs? any TTL level PLC output would work to control a stepper motor controller board / IC.

You can also use a dual h-bridge to control a Bi-Polar or Unipolar Stepper.

5. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    I have never heart about a TTL level PLC. I think you have confused it with a microcontroller.

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Nope, no confusion here, I have worked with a few that accepted 5 volt TTL signals for input/ output....

7. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Ok, but they may have transistor outputs too. The PLC has to be with transistor outputs because relay outputs may not be able to respond to the required drive signal for the motor. Also, switching the relays fast will damage them soon.

8. Pich

Mar 11, 2008
    Which PLC are you planning to use? Most PLCs provide a transistor output but most are not fast enough to work with steppers, you would usually buy a special module for the job. Some PLCs have the function built in and provide step and direction at the outputs, a stepper driver is needed to run the motor.

9. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    That is why I suggested to the op to build a stepper motor controller board, and then the PLC just has to supply step pulses and logic for direction....