Stepper driver using only 555

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ivanmorales, Oct 12, 2009.

1. ivanmorales

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Hello!
    Is there anyway to make a Stepper Motor Driver using only 555 IC's???

Thanks

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It may be possible for a low-power stepper motor, but it would be ugly and awkward.

It's sort of like "If your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look more or less like a nail..."

The best use of a 555 with stepper motors would be to provide a clock, at either a variable or fixed rate, for the driver circuit.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    As I understand it a stepper has to be sequenced, this is why the multiple leads. There are lots of chips that do that better, you'd have to use a separate 555 for each step. Then there is the problem of reversing direction.

Stepping motors are not a strong suite of mine however.

4. ivanmorales

Oct 12, 2009

Thanks. I understand that it's not efficient, but we are allowed to use only 555 IC on this project. That's why I was asking for that.
    Do you have any idea of the circuit. I've already tried to move my stepper with 4 555, with no success.
    If anybody has an idea to make it work, I'll thank you so much. (Sorry for my bad English)

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Show us your schematic, and the datasheet of the motor. Otherwise we're just guessing.

6. ivanmorales

Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Interesting configuration. What starts the oscillation? I don't see it. I would have used monostables set up as a shift down setup with one oscillator to trigger the arrangment.

You will have a chaotic situation with all the 555s equal, you need one master, to start the sequenct right.

8. ivanmorales

Oct 12, 2009
    I touch the 2nd terminal of the 555 with my finger xD.

9. ivanmorales

Oct 12, 2009
    That's a better idea!! Thanks I'll try using monostables instead of astables.

10. ivanmorales

Oct 12, 2009
    I've the circuit done. It's not perfect, but works fine (at least while simulating).

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help. Your idea of using monostables was the solution.

Notice that the 2nd 555 has a node that connects its 3rd and 6th terminal. With this connection, the circuit doesn't stuck up.

11. tibbles

Jun 27, 2008
    hi ivan
    some of the best drawing ive seen, what are you using?
    if ivans gone, anyone anyone recognise it?
    dougal

12. ivanmorales

Oct 12, 2009