Stepper driver using only 555

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It may be possible for a low-power stepper motor, but it would be ugly and awkward.

It's sort of like "If your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look more or less like a nail..."

The best use of a 555 with stepper motors would be to provide a clock, at either a variable or fixed rate, for the driver circuit.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As I understand it a stepper has to be sequenced, this is why the multiple leads. There are lots of chips that do that better, you'd have to use a separate 555 for each step. Then there is the problem of reversing direction.

Stepping motors are not a strong suite of mine however.

ivanmorales

Joined Oct 12, 2009
It may be possible for a low-power stepper motor, but it would be ugly and awkward.

It's sort of like "If your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look more or less like a nail..."

The best use of a 555 with stepper motors would be to provide a clock, at either a variable or fixed rate, for the driver circuit.

Thanks. I understand that it's not efficient, but we are allowed to use only 555 IC on this project. That's why I was asking for that.
Do you have any idea of the circuit. I've already tried to move my stepper with 4 555, with no success.
If anybody has an idea to make it work, I'll thank you so much. (Sorry for my bad English)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Interesting configuration. What starts the oscillation? I don't see it. I would have used monostables set up as a shift down setup with one oscillator to trigger the arrangment.

You will have a chaotic situation with all the 555s equal, you need one master, to start the sequenct right.

ivanmorales

Joined Oct 12, 2009
Interesting configuration. What starts the oscillation? I don't see it. I would have used monostables set up as a shift down setup with one oscillator to trigger the arrangment.

You will have a chaotic situation with all the 555s equal, you need one master, to start the sequenct right.
That's a better idea!! Thanks I'll try using monostables instead of astables.

ivanmorales

Joined Oct 12, 2009
That's a better idea!! Thanks I'll try using monostables instead of astables.
I've the circuit done. It's not perfect, but works fine (at least while simulating).

Thanks for your help. Your idea of using monostables was the solution.

Notice that the 2nd 555 has a node that connects its 3rd and 6th terminal. With this connection, the circuit doesn't stuck up.