step up and step down transformer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ms.weirdorific, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ms.weirdorific

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Pls help me. My teacher asks me to make a set-up to differentiate the step-up transformer to the step-down transformer. What possible and easy set-up can I make? please.. reply

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I would think that this task would be as simple as feeding a sinewave signal into the winding labeled primary and then comparing the input signal amplitude with the amplitude of the signal on the secondary using an oscilloscope.

hgmjr

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, step-down transformers are literally everywhere. Cellular telephone chargers, cordless phones, laptop power supplies, doorbell transformers, heat/air conditioning control transformers, answering machine supplies, battery chargers, the list is endless. You could use any one of those as a practical demonstrator.

A step-up transformer you might not have thought of is the "ignition coil" in vehicles, as well as the high voltage power supplies in television sets and computer monitors.

An ignition coil salvaged from a junkyard, along with a secondary ignition wire, spark plug, 12-volt battery, a small non-polarized capacitor and some wire could be quite an effective demonstration, if a bit hazardous.

Well, putting the whole thing together - you could get a 25 VAC transformer from someplace like Radio Shack, or salvage an old heating/AC control transformer, and use it to build an unregulated power supply with two diodes and an electrolytic capacitor. That would give you roughly 17.8 VDC output under no load.

You could then use that power to cause the salvaged ignition coil to spark the plug.

Does that interest you? Do you need a schematic?