step motor project..help..plz

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by indika perera, Mar 7, 2013.

1. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
    hey..guyz...i'm willing to do a project using a stepper motor for sewing industry process..so i need a help of somebody who expert in this field..requirement is i need to control a stepper motor for per-defined revolutions per several segment.that means suppose if i push a no:1 push button the motor rotates specified revolutions and if i push no:2 button motor rotates different rotation..likewise...(ALSO there should be a specific button to repeat the current stage) but this has to be done using pic micro controller IC that does not connect to a PC...
    plz support to do my amazing project..that is helpful to reduce human effort..
    thank you...
    indika

2. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    How far have you got, have you got the stepper to turn? Tell us where you are stuck, so we can help!

Post a schematic, and some of your code.... or do you just want a link to a stepper tutorial?

Here's a link

HTH Steve.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
    First..thanks for reply..bance
    such a important link that was..
    actually i'am still in the beginning of the project..gathered some circuits for stepper motor drivers...but not practically tested be' my requirement is not fulfilling those stuffs..
    my reqiurment is i just wanted to cut garment sleeve panel rib into different sizes such as S,M,L,XL likewise...so rib has to be move some specific distance for equal sizes of cutting.. it should be able to set different rotations for different switches. because sleeve ribs having different length.
    hope u got my idea...another thing is circuit should be able to handle using IR sensors to start up rotation once the fabric came to the surface..

4. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    Sounds something like a vinyl sign cutter application, Google for plotter, or sign plotter....

Or maybe you just want an XY table, without more solid information it's difficult to help.

Some drawings, schematics and/or code.... failing that just a definite idea of what you're trying to achieve, and I might be able to help!

Steve.

5. antonv

Nov 27, 2012
    Are you going to do your own micro controller programming?

Are you able to gather motors and other parts and put it all together?

Are you able assemble the electronics once you have a schematic?

6. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013

Yes...may be..all of your Q's may right..
    (Q1) yes..specific PIC program
    (Q2) Some what...it's depend on the availability of parts nearby..anyhow i'll try my best to find them.
    (Q3) Yes..if i had parts..schematic..why should not assemble them..only need soldering iron..and led wires...

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  8. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013

Thx Steve..

here is a basic sketch of my requirement..hope u will understand..sleeve rib is some sort of a thick fabric (2x2 rib) that cut through a o\l cutter and also ribs have to be cut at both ends...

9. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    Are you trying to build one of these.....

LINK

10. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
    hi! mate..

No...that is what how automatic thread trimming works on modern overclock machine.. sleeve rib is a fabric part which is having 3/4 '' inch width. according to my drawing o\l cutter machine cut it for specific width (i.e 3/4'') and then we have to re-cut it lengthwise by considering the garment size.(sleeve open size). what i wanted is second step that means lengthwise cutting set to be automatic by using pneumatic cutters and step motor driven circuit..
    i hope u got my idea.. plz help me..dear..

11. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
  12. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
  13. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi..anyone help me?...

14. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Is the material you want to cut like bis tape? The woven ribbon type materialused to finish the edge of a sleeve?

Or are you wanting to cut out the sleeve its self? Your meaning is not clear. Can you show a picture of what you want to cut? Not the machine its self.

15. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
    here is a basic diagram of garment part..hope u understand sleeve and sleeve rib..i wanted to cut sleeve rib only..(not woven ...knitted fabric)

16. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Thank you for the picture. The reason I ask is that different people call a rib different things. I will make a sketch of my proposal and post in a day or so.

17. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    OK, the drawing is very basic to show the main parts.

The rollers/wheels, cutting block and hold down pad should be made from urethane of similar synthetic rubber.

The rotary cutter would be mounted to a slide,that also has the spring mounted hold down pad. This pad should extend a small distance below the cutter wheel. This way when the pad moves to hold the rib it makes contact with the rib before the cutter wheel would move across the rib. The rotary cutter wheel would be one similar to this: http://www.olfa.com/RotaryCuttersList.aspx?C=20

When the cut is done the pad/cutter assembly would lift and the cut rib would fall into a box to allow the next rib length to advance and then be cut-off.

Hope this is of some help.

18. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013

Hey..shortbus..first of all Thx..for you support...i have analyzed ur drawing and need some explanation of how to measure the length of the rib fabric by using step motor driven roller ( i hope it needs some sensors to detect the fabric edge whether it is reach the roller and then has to be measured)..i'm really glad if u can give some advice....

Thx...
    indika

19. indika perera

Thread Starter Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Also i can use pneumatic cutters because of i have pneumatic supply. hope it would be the easiest way..here is a that kind of cutter..[​IMG]

20. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    indika, The rib would be fed thru the rollers and cut, This would set the "base line" of the length. The motor would be programed to then move the number of steps needed to get the length you need. It would stop and a cut made, and repeat.

After the proper number of steps is known for the length, the motor will turn the roller that amount. The roller diameter is constant, so once the distance/length is known for each step of the motor, any length can be made by changing number of steps. The spring loaded pinch wheel makes sure that the rib stays in contact with the measuring wheel, keeping the length constant with the steps.

The problem with that type of shear is that with knit fabric especially, it can snag or not give a clean cut. The rotary blade type cutter will give a smooth, clean none snagging cut every time. When it does get dull, single screw lets the blade be changed. And the blades last a long time and can be sharpened.

The shears also need a human intervention to cut consistently. Try closing you eyes and having some one hand you fabric to cut. You will get a bad cut most times. Not so with one of the rotary cutters.