step down 240V ac 50Hz

garrettheart

Joined Dec 16, 2009
I would like to know is it possible to step down 240V Ac from a PSU to like about 12 V Dc without using a transformer.

For eg using a full wave rectifier, zener diode, resistors and capacitors.

For further detail,
I have this project where I wanted to build a remote control socket. There would be a receiver to act as a remote to control the relay. Hence, I do not intend to use any battery supply to run it. I was think to use the PSU supply to run the device, but stepping down the voltage without using a transformer. Is it possible?

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
It is a common technique to run small none-isolated gadgets.

For very low powers, just a high value resistor with a diode plus zener and smoothing cap can be used, eg. 47K 2W
That will give you a couple of milliamps.

For higher currents, the normal method is use a mains-rated (eg X type) capacitor, say 0.1 or 0.22uF in series with a low value resistor (47 Ohms).
You feed that to two rectifier diodes, one out to the zener + smoothing cap and the other back to Neutral (which is also circuit 0V / Common.).

The 'output' diode is connected with anode to the capacitor+resistor, the cathode out to the zener. The other diode has anode to Neutral/0V and cathode to the capacitor+resistor.

The capacitor has a defined impedance at the AC mains frequency, 1/ 2 x PI x F x C (in farads). Unlike a resistor, it does not dissipate any significant power, so the circuit can run cool.

Be VERY careful developing any direct-mains device - you should really use a safety isolating transformer while working on it, or temporarily use a conventional isolated DC supply until the electronics are working, then switch over to the none-isolated system.