Stealth Fighter - Made in China. :)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
maxpower097 said:
Yup China's in the Stealth Fighter game now. Amazing how they all look alike.
Pbbbt... So much for stealth... I can SEE IT RIGHT THERE!

jpanhalt said:
Don't worry. The lead paint will give it away.

John
.. Now thats funny!

blueroomelectronics said:
The XB-70 and SR-71 were / are still both awesome aircraft.
The SR-71 was my first plane model and my first model rocket.

Awesome. It had a bad maiden voyage. I ran out of epoxy, and finished with elmers school glue. It lost its wings at about 20ft.

Maybe thats one of the reasons I dont like flying..

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
They might have copied the hardware, but I highly doubt they have the software that ties it to all the assets they don't have, such as AWACS, Carriers, other fighters, etc.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Do you think they used bootlegged parts for the avionics and other hardware?

All's it takes is 1 mis-marked, re-packaged IC, and the plane goes bye-byes.

Like an N-channel was re-packaged as a P-channel on the ejector seat.

The first test flight would also be the last.

Imagine the irony if it was brought down by fake parts. ;)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Do you think they used bootlegged parts for the avionics and other hardware?

Imagine the irony if it was brought down by fake parts.
I could see something like that happening. Such as changing their IFF to squawk their GPS Coordinates, fuel level, etc to the enemy, missile targeting only works on other Chinese planes, etc. :D

Counter-Counter Intelligence gets kinda weird like that. Remember the old "Spy vs. Spy" comics?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think there is a real danger in complacency myself. The Chinese are thinking long term. I truely don't want to learn Mandarin.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The MiG 15 and MiG 21 were almost identical in appearance to German designs. The F-86 (Saberjet) had a lot of German technology, but the F-80 and F-4 (Phantom) were distinctly American designs. Of course, good technology should not be discarded and continues to be incorporated today in designs.

What is so striking to me, though, is the superficial similarity of the two MiG's just mentioned to earlier German designs. Remember, the MiG 21 was a first-line fighter in the Vietnam war.

John

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The MiG 15 and MiG 21 were almost identical in appearance to German designs. The F-86 (Saberjet) had a lot of German technology, but the F-80 and F-4 (Phantom) were distinctly American designs. Of course, good technology should not be discarded and continues to be incorporated today in designs.

What is so striking to me, though, is the superficial similarity of the two MiG's just mentioned to earlier German designs. Remember, the MiG 21 was a first-line fighter in the Vietnam war.
John
It is also in a historical context interesting. That the first Russian jet fighter planes used more or less a reverse engineered British jet engine design. As a reward for Russian effort in ww2. Russia was given a a small number of British jet engines. Shortly after the ww2 ended. And before the cold war started to get real cold.

Last edited:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
We can't be complacent in the US and Europe if we want to remain ahead of the game. Competition is good and I encourage it. It encourages us to be better, hopefully. But I think we are all too complacent about letting jobs and ideas go overseas. Maybe I'm just paranoid.