statistics of carriers in semiconductors?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by vead, Jul 20, 2014.

1. vead

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2011
    what is statistics in semiconductor ?

Fermi level I think it means energy level of electron
    Fermi Dirac distribution -the probability of finding electron at energy level

what is motion of electron in periodic lattice ?
  2. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    A mathematical tool for modeling highly complex or 'chaotic' systems, as it is for any other application

The Fermi level of a substance can be defined several different ways. You need to pick the one that best suits your needs. For instance you could describe it as the total partial molar free energy of the electrons in a body, or you could say it's the energy of the highest occupied molecular orbital in the valence band, or simply as the energy (in terms of work) required to add an electron to the body in question.

Yes, more or less. More correctly it's as it's name implies, the distribution of identical Fermion particles (electrons or otherwise) over all single-particle energy states in a system under defined parameters.

Motion due simply to thermal activity, or also influenced by an applied electric field? The latter case, especially if the field is varying, is not trivial. I've never done the math myself, but I remember reading a paper about it.

In any case it will be fairly chaotic.:D