State Space Systems (applied to following circuit)

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by u-will-neva-no, Dec 3, 2011.

1. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hey everyone,

I have attached a diagram to show you what I am dealing with. My first question is:

Are the currents flowing the correct way for me to eventually solve the state space model of the circuit?

I have drawn in green(X and Y) where I would like to do my nodal current equations. They have to be where the capacitors are as they are storing devices (well that's what I was taught to do). I have also drawn in a black dot as I think this could be a possible place to do a current node equation.

Any help, as always, is much appreciated!

2. Vahe

Mar 3, 2011
    If you are trying to write the state space equations of this circuit, first you have to define your states. I see that you have marked x_1 and x_2 with arrows -- I guess this is the alternate way of marking voltage which I always get confused with. I always use the plus and minus signs -- it is always more clear to me. The capacitor voltages definitely need to be the state variables.

I think you should write nodal (KCL) equations at the inverting (-) terminals of all three opamps. Do not write any KCL equations at the output nodes of the opamps (since the output current of the opamp is unknown). I would mark the state variables (capacitor voltages), with the positive at the opamp output and the negative at the inverting terminal. This is because all non-inverting terminals are grounded ... and since V_+=V_-=0, the capacitor voltages will just be equal to the output of the two opamps with capacitors in the feedback loop.

Your state state expressions should look like this

<br />
\mathbf{\dot{x}} (t) = \mathbf{A} \mathbf{x} (t) + \mathbf{B} u(t)<br />
y(t) = \mathbf{D} \mathbf{x} (t) + \mathbf{F} u(t)<br />

A few things to point out ... the nodes that you have marked as A and B should be x_1 and x_2, so I think the arrow voltage notation denotes that the arrow points from + to - ... this is a guess. Also note that nodes that you have marked as X and Y are at ground potential. Also current marked as I7 is zero (open circuit).

I need to work this out and will post the results.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Vahe

u-will-neva-no likes this.
  3. Vahe

Mar 3, 2011
    Here is what I am getting by writing the KCL equations that I mentioned in my earlier post. First let me setup the state variables. The output of the top opamp (point B) is x_2(t), the output of the lower left opamp is x_1(t) and the output of the lower right opamp is y(t). The signal y(t) is an output and not a state variable. Also note that since all noninverting opamp terminals are grounded, the voltage at all inverting terminals are at 0V.

Let's start with the easiest opamp to deal with -- the lower right device, which is just an inverting amplifier with a gain of -(2R/2R)=-1. Writing the KCL equation at the inverting node gives (sum of currents in = 0)

<br />
\frac{x_1(t)}{2R} + \frac{y(t)}{2R} = 0 \Rightarrow y(t) = -x_1 (t)<br />

This is the output equation ... it has to be a function of the state variables and the inputs ... and it is.

Consider the top opamp next. Writing the KCL equation at the inverting node gives (sum of currents in = 0)

<br />
C \frac{d x_2(t)}{dt} + \frac{y(t)}{2R} = 0 \Rightarrow \frac{d x_2(t)}{dt} = - \frac{1}{2RC} y(t) =  - \frac{1}{2RC} (-x_1 (t)) \Rightarrow \frac{d x_2(t)}{dt} =\frac{1}{2RC} x_1 (t) <br />

Lastly, consider the lower left opamp. Writing the KCL equation at the inverting node gives (sum of currents in = 0)

<br />
C \frac{d x_1(t)}{dt} + \frac{u(t)}{R} + \frac{x_1(t)}{R} + \frac{x_2(t)}{2R} = 0 \Rightarrow \frac{d  x_1(t)}{dt} = -\frac{x_1(t)}{RC} - \frac{x_2(t)}{2RC} - \frac{u(t)}{RC}<br />

Now you can put them in matrix form if you wish

<br />
\left[<br />
\begin{array}[c] \frac{d x_1(t)}{dt}\\ \frac{d x_2(t)}{dt} \end{array} \right]= \left[ \begin{array}[cc] -\frac{1}{RC} & -\frac{1}{2RC}\\ \frac{1}{2RC} & 0 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}[c] x_1(t)\\<br />
x_2(t) \end{array} \right] + \left[ \begin{array}[c] -\frac{1}{RC}\\ 0 \end{array} \right] u(t)<br />

<br />
y(t)= \left[ \begin{array}[cc] -1 & 0 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}[c] x_1(t)\\ x_2(t) \end{array} \right] + \left[ 0 \right] u(t)<br />

I hope this helps you out -- hope there are not typos.

Best regards,
    Vahe

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    wow, that helped me out so much! I really cannot thank you enough!! Thank you for writing everything out also as that must have taken a bit of time to work out and type (it would for me).

You explained it really well, thank you once again.

5. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I have one small question and it involves an easier circuit diagram attached. The equation that I am trying to get is:

y(t)= -X_2(t)

I tried to aply what you said before but the same analysis would not work in this instance as there is a capacitor across the op-amp (compared to the resistor previously). Don't worry about explaining the other equations at X and Y as I understand them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    It looks to me that your choice of polarity on x_2 forces you to use the output equation y(t)= X_2(t)

If you change the polarity of x_2, then you can get y(t)= -X_2(t).