Starting with PCBs

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Hello everybody and thank you always.

So far I have implemented my circuits on breadboards and later on on perfboards. So far so good.

But I would like to learn how to design and make PCBs. Can anybody provide me a link or resource to a tutorial where I can learn about this?
Books would be great too, but if online resources will be specially appreciated

Thanks again

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Since I have never done this and my knowledge on this is nil, I dont know how to answer your question.
I suppose I would like to learn those concepts and before manuacturing them, actually would like to learn how to draw (I suppose with autocad??) the layout o the PCB including dimmensions and stuff. So far whenever I want to describe a circuit I just draw its schematics, but I have been asked to draw also layouts (I am not even sure if I am using the correct terminology)

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Download designspark7 its free and has schematic and PCB design tools in one bundle and there is plenty of libraries for it.
To make PCB you would need an etchant like ferric chloride and etch resist pen(waterproof marker) or laser printer those are most common ways people make their PCBs.

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Thank you very much! Those were great resources.
I would like to point this bit though. In there you start with printing the PCB artwork.
This is something I want to learn. How do I design this artwork? How do I go from electronic schematics (which I know how to do) to these artwork with which you start the tutorial?

Thanks again :)

Edit: Reading around I have found there is a program called Eagle for this... any experience with that? or similar?

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I used Eagle for many years and it was my preferred software until I obtained Altium through my work. Altium is worlds better, but is extremely expensive. Eagle is a great tool, and there's lots of documentation and tutorials for it. Search youtube for Eagle tutorials.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are also a multitude of tutorials for the Free Kicad.
It also has an automatic placement feature, but it requires manual adjustment sometimes to keep say power areas from logic etc, but you could use it to get a general idea of placement.
Max.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Eagle is nice but its expensive for students and hobby users. You should get a free software like KiCad or DesignSpark PCB.

There is a CircuitMaker which is free but you need to share you projects on the cloud otherwise its not free.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Eagle is nice but its expensive for students and hobby users. You should get a free software like KiCad or DesignSpark PCB.

There is a CircuitMaker which is free but you need to share you projects on the cloud otherwise its not free.
Eagle has a free version that is perfectly usable for 99% of students and hobby users.