Starting with microcontrollers: Advice?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by oneseventyfour, May 28, 2011.

1. oneseventyfour

Thread Starter New Member

May 28, 2011
    Hey, so a friend gave me this dev board for a STM32 ARM chip, and while i'd like to get into this realm, I've really no idea of where to start. The board is similar, if not exactly the same as This. I'm well versed in C and C++, but as far as getting the board to interact with my windows/unix boxes (Via. USB, maybe i should try RS232?), i'm at a complete loss. I realize that this is a bit of a complicated MCU to begin with, but if anyone could give me a push in the right direction, i would appreciate it immensely.

Thanks!

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Can you take a picture of the ARM demo board so that we can confirm its part number and maybe find the part number and manufacturer of the board?

hgmjr

3. oneseventyfour

May 28, 2011
    sure, here you go:
    [​IMG]

Following the hyperlink on the board goes to a site that's in chinise :( . No idea.

The chip got washed out, the writing on it is:

STM32F103
    VET6 Z
    HPADN 93
    KOR HP 059
    [ST logo] ARM

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Have you given any thought to what toolchain you will be using? Have you chosen a programmer?

hgmjr

5. oneseventyfour

May 28, 2011
    That would probably be a good place to start. I do have Keil uVision 4 on disk, if that may help at all.