Starting Engine

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cruzerrain, May 24, 2009.

1. cruzerrain

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Can I start an Engine by an AC Power Line input to replace Lead-Acid Batteries?

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    In theory, yes. In practice, you will have to make some changes to the starting system, running system, and/or the AC lines power.

Can you give more details? One obvious thing is that the engine may require a battery to run. If it does not, then things are simpler. I have started small, magneto-equipped gasoline engines with an electric drill run from the AC mains.

John

3. cruzerrain

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    can i use a rectifier to adjust the voltage and current so it's the same with the lead acid battery?

4. Mike Mandaville

May 27, 2009
    In an emergency, I once used a battery charger to start my car. My battery was overdue for a replaacement, and was still in the car. Done repeatedly, this will ruin the charger. White's Auto Supply used to sell a unit which was specifically designed for this purpose. Maybe they still do. If I am not mistaken, I think that a typical automobile alternator requires a battery to energize the field coils, though.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    They do make chargers that are rated for that, but a battery is much better for the application.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It is quite common in aircraft to have an external auxiliary power plug for starting. The starting units are often fuel powered generators, but line-powered charger/starters are also used. My Sears starter provides a starter boost setting.

John

7. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    My battery charger has a 10 amp boost setting, works for starting. You don't need the battery once the engine is running. I'm sure everyone has push-started a car a least once in their life, although never tried it with no battery at all, just extremely dead. You can also drive with a bad alternator, but kills the battery...