Starting Arm

Amir Sarikhan

Joined May 29, 2015
Hi all
I am familiar with ATMEL micros , I worked with Atmega32 a lot.
I want to start arm micros
I have some questions:
1- I heard that we can compile Linux on arm , What is the result of that if we compile it and how can we use Linux on arm exactly ?
2- On ATMEL micros when we load an image it has low loading speed so we can not load a camera by it (real time camera ) so on arm can we do it ?
3- On the all of micros we have somethings like ADCs , timers ,... so when we use linux what is the difference and what do we use exactly?
4 - Please introduce me a good tutorial
Thank you

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Depends on what you want to work with. If you want to use ARM as a microcontroller (adc's , timers etc...) then look into an M-cortex version, for example stm32fxxxx. If you want to play with high level stuff like Linux then you want an A-cortex, for example a BeagleBone or Rasp. PI etc... which usually come with Linux installed. You can ofcourse access peripherals from linux but it's not as straightforward and hard to do in realtime (Maybe not even possible to do some things unless you are running a real time kernel etc). Also, on platforms running linux and have usb ports then you have much easier access to things like USB cameras but if you are using a camera with a parallel interface then it's better to go with an M-cortex. Some M-cortex micros will have dedicated camera interfaces and DMA so you can read a camera while doing other stuff aswell. Check out the stm32f407 discovery development kit it's very cheap.

Amir Sarikhan

Joined May 29, 2015
Hi
Thanks for answers
I want to work with chips like lpc1768
I want to install tft lcd and camera module like OV7670 camera module
And use the camera to show on lcd .
The OV7670 datasheet is confusing so how can I use it's module ?
Do you have any other suggestion for using camera with lpc1768 ?
How can I write a library for camera ?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You get the data sheet you read it for the camera it tells what you need to know but I don't see a Lpc1768 doing much more then grabbing pictures. It has to handle all the work it's going to be slow..

Kind of like a computer without a video card. Post 3 by Shgas listed a stm32f407 it was made with camera in mind.
www.st.com/web/en/catalog/mmc/FM141/.../LN11 STMicroelectronics
ARM Cortex-M4-based STM32F407/417 line with 168 MHz CPU/210 DMIPS, 1 MB Flash, DSP and FPU adds Ethernet MAC and camera interface

Last edited: