Starting a fresh blog

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Wendy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Is there a way to start a new blog, independent of the previous ones?

I was thinking of my article, LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers, and while writing this thread...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=22886

I had an idea.

The problem is I can't start a thread that people can't write in, so I have no control over formating long term.

Blogs don't have this issue. However, my 1st blog and its index messes up the idea a little. If I started fresh on a new blog for this article that would not be a problem.

Thanks.

PS: Part of the problem is there are whole chunks of the VBulliten blog system that I do not have a clue how they work. I need to find a manual for this section.

2. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm seriously thinking of starting a second account for the express purpose of doing this blog/article. I'm waiting to see if there are any other ideas first though, since I'm not in a burning hurry.

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
  4. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I tried to delete the uncatagorized blog, and got the screen I attached.

Basically I can no longer delete a blog (I've done it before), but something changed with my account privilages.

If I could attach images to comments it would go a long way to doing what I want, but at this time this is something else I can't do, which is why I was wanting to go the alternate routes.

I'm also having trouble figuring how to find a catagory I make. It would be no trouble if it did what I want, since I plan on linking to it from the index (root blog).

Are there instructions how the blogs are laid out here? I'm thinking of a manual of some sort.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Let me guess you can soft delete a blog post but can't remove it completely?

Btw, I'm not entirely sure what the screenshot is showing!

Dave

6. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    You caught me mid edit, look at it now.

At the moment it won't let me touch it, soft or hard delete.

The previous blog I successfully deleted was a soft delete (not the best, but it display's like I want). It was the previous index I replaced with the current index.

jrap increased the number of characters in the root blog a little while back, at 2000 characters and tags I ran out of room.

7. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Yes, I did wonder what Dr Who had to do with it!

Yes, you settings should allow you to soft delete but not completely remove the entry from the database - like on the forums. There are administrative reasons why we don't allow members to completely remove things they have posted and suggest that if you want something deleting completely (i.e. removed from database) that you ask an admin or mod to do it.

As for images, you should be able to use IMG-tags in comments. I take it you can't?

Dave

8. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I haven't tried lately, that area tends to shift a bit over time. It affected several decisions I've made over time.

I tried it again, still no luck with deletions. I'm trying the in a comment next.

OK, now we can post [img] files in the comments. Interesting. Is there a way to point directly to a comment, similar to how you can display an individual post?

9. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    OK, shortened the catagory name to LEDs, because it was messing up the format of the total blog. This went without a problem.

Can not delete the new catagory blog entry, I get the same error message.

10. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Yes, changes happen with revisions to vBulletin and my twitchy hands!

11. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    First time I tried to delete it I failed, second time I succeeded. There was a difference how I approached it, but dang if I can tell you what I did.

If I delete a comment is it soft deleted?

Is there a maximum number of comments (including soft deletions if that's the way it goes)?

I seem to be testing some boundries here. Glad to see ya back.

12. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Hmm! At least you can delete.

Yes, you shouldn't be able to completely delete anything, only soft delete.

There is no limit.

Glad to be back! Keep testing, it helps get the experience just right.

Dave

13. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    OK, I've transferred the article entirely to blog format. It isn't quite as pretty due to the sidebar, which causes the text to compress to the right, but it is acceptable.

I'm going to use the old thread as a backup. I'll maintain the article in current form there, but with users inputting comments (no help for it) I can't keep it contiguous, which is the reason for all the hassle.

You want to see the article in it's new home it is here. Ideally I would have liked a forum thread to myself, but this is the next best thing.

Thanks for the help.

14. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Sadly vBulletin is not readily geared up for this sort of project management, probably because they sell an add-on that facilitates this sort of thing. We don't have it and besides it costs. So we must make do with what we do have.

Article looks good Bill.

Dave

15. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Thank you. I can start making the changes and additions (mostly the latter) I'm planning.

I don't see any way something like this would fit with the AAC ebook. If you ever figure out a way let me know, I would more than happy to make the changes.

If it keeps growing it could become a small book in it's own right.