starter books for robotics

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by tavati, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tavati

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    i have some knowledge and experience of assembly language from my graduation days ( physics). it is now 7 years of hard work at office and i am kind of blank about latest. i like to build a robot now that i have some time for myself. pls suggest some starter books and simple projects ( like driving a wheell at different speeds ?).

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You probably don't want to comb through the 63,800,000 hits on "robots", so perhaps the 2,080,000 hits on "hobby robots" is more realistic.

What I am suggesting is that very general questions are very hard to answer. Look around and see what kind of robot is interesting. Most incorporate microcontrollers, so there is another selection process to go through, and then the acquisition of some programming skills.

Try searching on information on pulse width modulation (PWM) for driving wheels at controllable speeds.

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. Skeebopstop

Jan 9, 2009
    For gods sake don't use assembly. Look at a processor optimized for C. I doubt you'll be getting into horribly time tight stuff and need to get into control loops on a DSP in assembly.

For most applications C and micro should do the trick. You can get micros with PWM outputs and quadrature encoder feedback modules. Would greatly help you if you slapped a wheel on a motor with quadrature encoder.

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    This book seems to be very popular among robotic enthusiats.

hgmjr

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008