Start without the end.

TechSpec

Joined Jul 9, 2007
Hi everyone

Perhaps this topic would fit the best under the general discussion but i thought this would suite much better to in here microcontroller section...

I started this new topic because what i read more and more in here, is that people try to short things, it means that people ask too easily about things which are way above their acknowledge: "how do i do that or this" and "help me out", "im new with this" and so on.

I understand perfectly that sometimes there is a point where its hard to figure out how we should do things and how to move on, and then we need to get more views from the others. Sometimes we are blind to ourselves and to our doings to see things what are obvious, thats why we need a kick in a *utt sometimes. But when we ask things from which we have no clue whatsoever, like "can i connect a motor directly to a processor"-type questions just shows us that the person has a lack of acknowledge about the basics. Electronics is a quite complex world with all of these 1000's of components and their variations, and many ways to put them together to get something to work.

Starting from the basics is a good way to start, read the law of ohm, put a LED and a resistor together and see how it works, then add a transistor and drive that, then make a delay to the base with RC line, see how that works, put two transistors, then add a logic circuit, next two logic circuits, perhaps an inverted logic, XOR,NOR,OR,AND,NAND, try their combinations, calculate current, power, voltage, make some simple devices like add a PTC resistors to measure trip points to temperature, combine different circuits, see how others have done these circuits and learn from them. Internet is a perfect place to start as is the literature in a library.

Go further every time you do something new, add a new component that you havent use before and find out its functionality and how to use it. Be creative, think new possibilities and solve problems, read a lot from components, basic parameters, learn from the surrounding world what kind of equipments are in use and try to think how they work etc etc.

When doing, feed your appetite with success, advance slowly, dont take too big steps, and when you do, be sure you know what you are doing. Dont bang your head to a wall with too complex designs. Moving straight to a complex logics like processors, cpld circuits etc and their combination without knowing the principles of electronic circuits, will be most likely the end of this hobby, they simply wont work and you will get frustrated because of that. You just cant move to the end without the start !

This short description was straight from my early years. I have advanced, sometimes slowly, sometimes fast, sometimes even banging my head to a wall. After these years of learning, this hobby is as new as it was at the beginning, more you know, more you see that you dont know, its one of the fine things in this world of electronics.

TechSpec

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
more you know, more you see that you dont know, its one of the fine things in this world of electronics.

TechSpec
It is so, for any field where human inteligence can focus on, in fact.

I use to think of this like climbing a ladder where steps are built by yourself. More or less good, more or less orderly, sometimes one quite distant from the next... Each one his own ladder.