Standard projects collection

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
What about: "Will you STOP dialing that @^#$&*! modem while im on the phone!?!"

sorry dad, love you!

I would like to see a few "AAC" branded model circuits. It would be kind of neat to have them in an area on the forum or in the book.

I wish I had the drive to build a crystal radio. I did it years (25) ago with a kit, after failing with the razor blade. It could be interesting.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
We have something similar called the Projects Collection. Posts there have to be approved my a moderator.

I would like to see some standard circuits there that have been validated by other members, but that idea has not gotten off the ground. John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The closest we get is the PaintCAD breadboard layouts that Bill does.

The project secton is kind of like what I mean, but Im talking about the projects that are in the book.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, I know the Projects Collection is not exactly what you mean. In chemistry, for example, there is (maybe was) a resource called Organic Syntheses. It was a collection of standard and some not so standard syntheses that had been submitted and then tested by an independent group. The authors and validators are both listed, so the validator's reputation is also at stake.

With very little modification, our Projects Collection could become that for electronic circuits, or we could have a new forum or add a sub-forum that is like that. Bill's material is extremely useful, but it is a little hard to find, if you don't know what is there.

Like any such resource, an index is key to utility. Search engines are great, but how many of us routinely go to advanced search options and limit the search to Bill's blog? I believe there is still value in being able to scan an index for close fits rather than rely on a search engine where even a misspelled word can screw it up.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
....Agreed... very, very much.

We could ultimately have a sub-forum with seperate n00b, mild, medium, advanced

I really like the idea.

This would be a good way to go from simulation to real. There are many people who throw up a simulation or schematic.

Finished versions with photos and a log of complications and realizations would help anyone learn.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I think it's a great idea. One note I'll add is that I think the authors' and validators' notes ought to be kept. Most people like to write "finished" stuff like you see in a textbook. However, NOTHING is ever developed that way. The real learning comes from knowing the false starts, stupid mistakes, simple-things-you-know-that-ain't-so, etc., and getting past those. So, IMHO, it would be better to see the write-ups be nicely formatted lab notebook material -- i.e., here's what I did, here's what I thought, and here are the mistakes I made. It'll take a bit more writing work on the authors' and reviewers' parts and more reading on the readers' part, but it'll be more realistic.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats what I was thinking:
Finished versions with photos and a log of complications and realizations would help anyone learn.
So people can see the Trials And Tribulations of going from idea to schematic to prototype.

If you connect a diode backwards, If you find a new use for a 'whoozit' and when you finally find out that the missing decoupling cap was causing the problem.

It will show new comers (n00bs) that everyone makes mistakes, but seeing it through causes much happiness and a sense of accomplishment.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
ElectroTech, a forum a lot like this one, has design contests. I've decided to use a new 555 article as an entry (for motivation). Something like this might be interesting. I don't know what would be involved, it might work well for this site.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
it might work well for this site.
I think it would.

I will help however help is needed.

I can keep track of files, host larger files (if needed), and even give people bad advice to help to add to the 'drama' of the stuff not working. ;)

Anywhos. I think it is a good idea. I would like to see a lot of simulations built.

And when folks come here looking for project ideas, the thread can walk them through design 101 to YEEAAHH! The LED IS BLINKING!

You know its good. It may get more folks involved in simulations, and prototyping.
I would like to have a resource LESS like the mass circuit databases, and more like AAC.

People bring circuits from ALL AROUND THE WEB to us asking 'Now what?'

Well young sir/madam check The AAC archives of member built devices' and see how 322 others built The Bill_marsden 555 powered smoothie maker. ;)

You get my point. I will contribute. No holds barred.. Soldering iron burns and all.

We already have a project or two in there infancy that would work well there and be popular.

The sarge is working on a stepper driver and CNC. A few people seem interested in it, so they can see how an idea develops, and how some start and fail and some start and stumble, but (design willing) some folks will succeed