stacked core on 40 kva transformer

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
what effect would welding portion of the stacked core to the frame of a transformer

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
We make it so that people can post feedback about the site and e-book anonymously, however we do ask if you wish to contribute and ask questions that you sign-up. Thank you.

I'll move this to the GEC and you may get some feedback.

Dave

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
Any welding to the core would probably have a detrimental effect on the inductive qualities of the core, and likewise de-rate the transformer (if it doesn't ruin it completely).

Whatever it is you're trying to do, find another way that doesn't involve tampering with the core or windings of the transformer.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
That's a tough question since it depends on a few factors. When welding, you are providing a low resistance path along the lamination stack. The very reason the stack is used is to prevent easy flow of eddy currents in the direction normal to the stack. On the other hand, I have seen motors that were welded to keep the laminations together. It might very well be a performance/cost tradeoff, which may or may not be acceptable in your application.

Also, the material that you are welding to could provide an electrical and magnetic path, which should be evaluated to see how it will effect your transformer. I don't think it would be a big deal to weld it, I think it would work fine. You may get some more losses, but the extra thermal losses should be sunk by the frame.

Steve

I forgot to mention, don't heat it up too much! Deformation may shift the laminations in a way to put extra stress on your magnet wire, which could cause enamel loss and failure. If you get it too hot, you might exceed the maximum recommended temperature of the magnet wire.