Stable and long lasting mosquito zapper Circuit

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
Stable and long lasting mosquito zapper Circuit
I want to build a stable and safe circuit that would fry mosquitoes. can I use my eliminator transformer (3 volts 0.5 amp ( 3-0-3) iron core) as the step up transformer to develop up to 300 v and the LM555 to convert the 3 V DC to charge the transformer? then the diode capacitor voltage doubler 4-5 stages would be used to generate the 2-3 Kv. but i have some difficulties. I read in many circuits that 400 v polyester film capacitors were enough. but for 2-3 kv would they be? or shall I use 3 kv disc capacitors and 4007 diodes? I saw that there was a capacior in the YPD zapper across the +ve n negative terminal (HV). can I also connect such a capacitor? then of what value? if i am making 3 kv then is 5 kv capacitor suitable to connect across the positive and negative Hv terminals? are 4007 enough or i need to have some high voltage diodes?? is the transformer suitable or i need to use the ferrite core transformers? please help me friends.​

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Voltage doublers and DC to DC converters uses high frequency buddy.
You will need ferrite core transformers, but the good news is it won't be big since the load is actually nothing but a poor bug frying between the electrodes.
U'll need HV caps and diodes.

First try to get ur hands on a diagram and then we can talk.

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz124/rohitdhamal/1.png

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz124/rohitdhamal/3.png

this is a commercial zapper ive opened. First can you explain how does this work? i am not an engineering student but have much interest in electronics.
previously I was talking abt this. but this seems to be an AC circuit.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz124/rohitdhamal/mosquitozappercircuit.jpg

I dont want to waste energy inmaking AC-DC and so I opt to refine the circuit in the 3 pictures. here i see only one transistor does the job. but the main problem in the circuit was that, there was a 2kv PF capacitor across the HV terminals and it blows off in 2-3 days. in the picture it stood in front of the brown capacitors. now I've removed it for replacement. i want a permanentsolution for this problem. if this happens i dont need to construct a new circuit. so can anybody give me a permanent solution? also one concern is that, its ok it fries mosquitoes. but if the osquito has drunk blood or its a large one like we have in central india (1cm size) then the circuit will get shorted. can we have a protection for it?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If your present ckt works, except for output capacitor, then replace cap. with higher V rating @ about 100 pF, larger for bigger bugs. 1N 4oo7 OK for 2-3kHz.in multiplier.[my 1942 bug zapper used Model T spark coil ]

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
its ok it fries mosquitoes. but if the osquito has drunk blood or its a large one like we have in central india (1cm size) then the circuit will get shorted. can we have a protection for it?
You have drunk mosquitoes :D, cool !!! that will make a fine fly detonator.
1 cm ones too :eek:. I like to see this sucker.

You know that circuit is used in like tennis racket type zappers, we have one too, I go to play tennis from time to time with that.
I will be running, waving the racket like a lunatic around the court and other players will be like :confused::confused: . figuring where the heck is my ball.
I love the sound of zapping the blood suckers.

The problem is that the caps are of low qualities, you need to replace them with premium components.
Another solution is to find caps with the same value but twice the voltage rating. This would definitely give you longer life on the caps

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
i replaced the cap with the same value component. but when i did this the circuit worked but there was no spark only voltage shock could be felt.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sparking should not be there, it's not a taser.
Does it fry Bugs.
Does the bug goes ..BZZZZZZZT!! or ZAAAAP!!

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
Sparking should not be there, it's not a taser.
Does it fry Bugs.
Does the bug goes ..BZZZZZZZT!! or ZAAAAP!!
no nothing.. it doesnt even work. only thing it gives me a shock when i touch the net. but a weaker one.mosquiotes are not fried. could the capacitor be a damaged one but i dont think so. how can i check it? what other component could be damaged? the transistor shows resistance in multimeter properly. can we suspect any other component? mosquiotes are eating me up daily.

Last edited:

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
:D By god!! let's we what we can do, when u still have something left besides dried up skeleton.
Check the transistors in diode check mode. For leakage.
The oscillation may not be enuf .
The output voltage is too low
I already told you they are nasty bugs of 1 cm each. imagine 10-20 of them biting you daily... thats why i want a repair or a new circuit.. each of them sucks about a quarter ml of blood. its so much that they cannot even fly after that.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I already told you they are nasty bugs of 1 cm each. imagine 10-20 of them biting you daily... thats why i want a repair or a new circuit.. each of them sucks about a quarter ml of blood. its so much that they cannot even fly after that.
Lucky suckers...aren't they.

Start testing transistors in diode check mode and check for resistors for increase in resistance values
Is it possible to show a better a pic of what u have form both sides

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
Lucky suckers...aren't they.

Start testing transistors in diode check mode and check for resistors for increase in resistance values
Is it possible to show a better a pic of what u have form both sides
it is the clearest pic i can get. there are actually 3 pics. one is displayed and other two are links. i am a newbie i dnt know how to check transistor. can you tell me the correct method?

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz124/rohitdhamal/1.png

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz124/rohitdhamal/3.png

this is a commercial zapper ive opened. First can you explain how does this work? i am not an engineering student but have much interest in electronics.
previously I was talking abt this. but this seems to be an AC circuit.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz124/rohitdhamal/mosquitozappercircuit.jpg

I dont want to waste energy inmaking AC-DC and so I opt to refine the circuit in the 3 pictures. here i see only one transistor does the job. but the main problem in the circuit was that, there was a 2kv PF capacitor across the HV terminals and it blows off in 2-3 days. in the picture it stood in front of the brown capacitors. now I've removed it for replacement. i want a permanentsolution for this problem. if this happens i dont need to construct a new circuit. so can anybody give me a permanent solution? also one concern is that, its ok it fries mosquitoes. but if the osquito has drunk blood or its a large one like we have in central india (1cm size) then the circuit will get shorted. can we have a protection for it?
also request to give me the value of components i.e. transistor (sd965) or equivalent, capacitor values etc, because all the values are removed.