Stabimatic AVR Stablizer problem

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Stabimatic AVR stablizer did not provide proper voltage, its excess voltage lamp continously at the on position (you can see it through image) however the input voltage is quiet normal. The gear box and the mini motor running fine and move freely at startup but after that it stuck at the end point. Due to this my system has been restarted several times.
Any suggestion!

Here it is stuck the excess voltage button always on.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Are those limit switches at the extreme ends of the Rheostat coil?

You might check them to be sure they are functioning correctly. Also examine the surface of the resistance coil at the point where it 'sticks'. You may find pitting or burning which is making the traversing arm hang up there.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
The vital carbon brush in contact with the winding is missing.

Someone "clever" must have removed it and replaced it with a screw.

The result is obvious. There is always a one-turn-short on the transsformer and the brass contact arm become overheated(darken in color).

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Are those limit switches at the extreme ends of the Rheostat coil?

You might check them to be sure they are functioning correctly. Also examine the surface of the resistance coil at the point where it 'sticks'. You may find pitting or burning which is making the traversing arm hang up there.
Yes its limit switches
The traveling arm movement is extremely good and the surface of the coil is also smoth and not burn.
When i unplug the machine i manually move the traveling arm and move to the middle of the coil and after that i plug into AC socket it will move automatically towards excess voltage postion button as u can see in the image if i manually press the excess voltage button it stops immediateltly where it stands.
Some one told me its actually an IC or Circuit problem because this machine is IC driven he told me to change the IC card.

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
The vital carbon brush in contact with the winding is missing.

Someone "clever" must have removed it and replaced it with a screw.

The result is obvious. There is always a one-turn-short on the transsformer and the brass contact arm become overheated(darken in color).
Its carbon brushes is good as new. The arm is not overheated its an black tape which wrap up. In normal position it takes one turn short but i dont no what the problem it is.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I suspect the unit thinks the voltage is too low & is over compensating & the circuit is not responding. You have 2 choices 1, Buy a new PCB. 2, Try & repair PCB. Step 1 Good clear pictures of both sides of the PCB (beter than the orig pics) & try & draw out the circuit. If you want to fix it there has to be some input from you. We cant guess what the prob may be.

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
I suspect the unit thinks the voltage is too low & is over compensating & the circuit is not responding. You have 2 choices 1, Buy a new PCB. 2, Try & repair PCB. Step 1 Good clear pictures of both sides of the PCB (beter than the orig pics) & try & draw out the circuit. If you want to fix it there has to be some input from you. We cant guess what the prob may be.
so the coil or winding is ok

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Coil should be easy to check for continuity. Im only guessing its an Auto transformer type mains voltage regulator. googling it only brings up units for sale from China & no other details.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Coil should be easy to check for continuity. Im only guessing its an Auto transformer type mains voltage regulator. googling it only brings up units for sale from China & no other details.
My guess too that it's an autotransformer. The manufacturer is apparently in Pakistan, but registered in UK. Apparently users find it is junk and can't be repaired even in Karachi. No schematics are available.

I am guessing eblc1388 is also right. It has been "repaired" at least once before, then sold.

Here are links to the manufacturer and a forum with user experience:
http://stabimatic.com/avr.html

http://wccftech.com/forum/general-discussion/18774-bad-consumer-goods.html

John

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
My guess too that it's an autotransformer. The manufacturer is apparently in Pakistan, but registered in UK. Apparently users find it is junk and can't be repaired even in Karachi. No schematics are available.

I am guessing eblc1388 is also right. It has been "repaired" at least once before, then sold.

Here are links to the manufacturer and a forum with user experience:
http://stabimatic.com/avr.html

http://wccftech.com/forum/general-discussion/18774-bad-consumer-goods.html

John
Dear iam 100% sure that it is not repaired and its running fine since 2003, you are believing only 1 or 2 consumer thoughts or experience what are the rest of the other are they satisfied ?
obviously yes!

sometimes user are at the fault they dont have the ability to use it.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Have you actually measured the output of the unit? If it is indeed providing an output and it is high, I would also say it is a circuit board problem. If, on the other hand, there is no output, I would look at the screw/brush to not be making proper contact with coil.

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Have you actually measured the output of the unit? If it is indeed providing an output and it is high, I would also say it is a circuit board problem. If, on the other hand, there is no output, I would look at the screw/brush to not be making proper contact with coil.
yes it shows excess voltage but the output voltage is only AC 180 volt.
Excess voltage light can only be turn on if the input voltage is high enough but in this situation a reverse phenomena, i noticed one more thing that i move the traveling arm to the opposite direction (low voltage point) and press the button of high voltage point, and put back it on i notice that the traveling arm is stop and output voltage is reaches upto 300 volt at low voltage position, after when i release the button it came back to the old position.
The screw and brush is in good position and not wear as u think its move quiet freely.
The contact between the coil and brush is tight as recomended and not produce any spark if traveling arm move.

Last edited: