stability of a system

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by vj39, Feb 7, 2013.

1. vj39

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    hi i need help in understanding how the transfer function of a system is used for analysing the stability in s domain..what happens if the poles of the transfer function lie on the origin? thanks in advance:)

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    The system is stable as long as the roots remain on the left half of the s-plane. To the right side of the plane, the system is unstable. At x=0, the system is considered marginally stable, so the origin would result in a marginally stable system.

See root locus

3. vj39

Feb 16, 2012
    yes when the poles lie on jw axis the system is critically damped or marginally stable the time response will be sustained oscillations at frequency of w... but at origin w=0 and damping factor σ=0(real axis) so what kind of time response does the system show to indicate its marginally stable?

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Well, I couldn't think of how the thing would respond! A good question, I'd say!

I simulated the transfer function in MATLAB and got this:
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. %EDIT: renamed/fixed variables
    2. TF = tf(1, [1 0])
    3. figure(1)
    4. rlocus(TF)
    5. figure(2)
    6. t = 0:.01:10;
    7. step(TF,t)
    8. stepinfo(TF)
    [​IMG]
    ...looks pretty unstable to me...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    vj39 likes this.
  5. vj39

Feb 16, 2012
    thank you so the system is unstable because the response shows a steady rise and peak at infinity? I'm still new to matlab...tried running the code but t is not defined..not able to plot for t=0:.01:10

6. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Sorry, I changed the variable for the transfer function from t to T, so you wouldn't think t was time, but forgot to change it for the root locus plot:p...that was a failure....

I'm going to fix that now....

It would seem that, assuming the simulation is correct, that the system is unstable, there is no settling of the system from a disturbance....

7. vj39

Feb 16, 2012