Squirrel cage fan from microwave

themow

Joined Dec 28, 2012
I pulled the fan from my old microwave. I want to make it a destop fan. Its got a diagram which is attached. I know it needs a cap. Just not sure where to put the power, neutral, ground, switch. Sorry for the simple questions. Thanks

Attachments

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Seems kind of "Rube Goldberg-ish" to me. To be honest, you have the diagram which, indeed, shows the connections about which you ask. This concerns me. No offense, but are you sure you're capable of safely wiring the device?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Cap shoen connected between red and yellow. AC power is on blue and split on black/white. the split is for a dual speed arrangement. only testing will reveal which lead is high or low.
use a double throw center off switch if you want high and low speeds

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
to be clear
wire one side of ac line to blue. other side of ac line goes to switch. white and black go to switch. cant post drawing from this phone. if you need wiring diagram for switch another member will help if you ask.

themow

Joined Dec 28, 2012
Seems kind of "Rube Goldberg-ish" to me. To be honest, you have the diagram which, indeed, shows the connections about which you ask. This concerns me. No offense, but are you sure you're capable of safely wiring the device?
Safely? yes, as long as I know what to do

Cap shoen connected between red and yellow. AC power is on blue and split on black/white. the split is for a dual speed arrangement. only testing will reveal which lead is high or low.
use a double throw center off switch if you want high and low speeds
Thanks, I'm Clear on the cap part. Regarding "AC power is on blue and split on black and white." Just to make sure Im following. Neutral goes to blue then hot to switch or to white or black depending on high/low.

Was composing post and ddint see your follow up. I think Im clear now
Thanks a bunch

I think I got it. And would this be a dual throw single pole switch?

Last edited:

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Neutral is Blue. (IEC color code)

The switch should be a 3 position, if kermit2's suspicions are correct. The type you need is commonly called an HOA (Hand-Off-Auto) in the industrial world. The center position being off.

Regarding ground, if there is no terminal and you desire a ground connection, you will have to make a bond point on the metal chassis or frame, preferably on the same frame as are found the other connections.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They are a little unclear as to their decimal points, but that would be a 6µf not .6µf.
Also make sure you use a AC motor rated cap, not an electrolytic or similar.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
They are a little unclear as to their decimal points, but that would be a 6µf not .6µf. Max.
Disagree. 6uf is common enough on 1/4 HP to 1/3 HP motors. This one is 130 Watts input power for about 1/7th of a horse.
I say, "Try the 0.6 uf capacitor". If it's wrong, that sucker won't start.

Hang on. The spacing on that dot seems to indicate that it IS 6 uf. Sorry.