Square waveform needs duty cycle adjustsment

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by relicmarks, May 11, 2008.

1. relicmarks

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    My function generator Square waveform output does not have a duty cycle adjustsment parameter

What kind of circuit/network can i hook up to it so i can adjust the 50% squarewaveform to any duty cycle % percentage from 0% to 99%??

What circuit can do this please?

My Triangle output does NOT have a "Symmetery" parameter how can i hook up a Function generator output triangle waveform and what circuit/network will adjust the positive and negative symmetery?

My Function generator does NOT have DC offset adjustsment parameter , What can i hook up to it so it can have a DC offset adjustsable?

I was thinking i can hook up a 9 volt battery with a 1Meg pot to variable the DC 9 volts from zero 0volts to 9 volts and put that on the function generator RED probe

Would this create a DC offset network for the function generator?

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Did you build the function generator, or did you buy it already assembled?

It might be easier to start over than to start adding things on to it.

You're going to be rather hard-pressed to get nearly 0% or nearly 100% duty cycle from a signal generator at even moderate frequencies. That requires a great deal of bandwidth.

3. relicmarks

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    its already built

I'm trying to build a circuit or network AFTER the function generator to make it had a duty cycle parameter

Block diagram::
    Function generator output-- goes to a duty cycle circuit--- output

4. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Closest you could hope for would be to trigger a variable monostable with the generator o/p.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    What Thingmaker3 said.

Look at 555 timer monostable circuits. You can get a pretty broad range of frequencies from them, from fractions of Hz to about 0.5MHz. Your minimum ON-time will be in the 1uS range, and at that speed the output waveform won't be terribly square.