square wave

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lezsalmon, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Lezsalmon

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Hello, I am a newbee as far as electronics are concerned (so please be patient with me!).
    I have recently bought a Gould OS300 'scope. I built a circuit from a book which should produce a square wave. When I see the wave that is being produced, I only seem to get the top horizontal line and the bottom horizontal of the 'square wave showing'. I know my oscilloscope is a bit old and when I bought it, I was shown it working by the seller connecting a wave generator to it. Is this normal or am I mistaken in thinking I'm actually observing a square wave? Any help for this ancient novice would be appreciated!

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I think that you have the volts/div knob in the wrong position.

Take a look at this PDF how to use an oscilloscope:
    XYZ_of_oscilloscopes.pdf

Bertus

3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Do the upper and lower lines go all the way across the screen? If not, you probably are failing to see the rise and fall times of the square waves because they move the electron beam much faster in the vertical direction than the horizontal direction. If you change the sweep speed to much faster and set your sync control properly, you should be able to see the rise time or fall time.

4. Lezsalmon

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi, Ok, thanks, I will try both suggestions. Got to find the 'sinc control' now! Will let you guys know how I get on.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007