Square wave oscillator

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
Greetings,

I am trying to build a 1MHz, 2MHz and 4MHz square wave using the 4060 IC with his divisions. Recently I built this circuit and I will need soon buy the components to build the test oscillator.

Before I do that could anyone check the circuit for me if he is all right please? I cannot make any mistake because I am running low on resources to buy the components in this moment.

Many Thanks,

Attachments

Last edited:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Lines up with the data sheet design information OK. Hopefully the crystal oscillates without too much trouble. You will need to be careful with the layout at 8MHz.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends on what you mean by a breadboard. People have tried to build a 32.768 KHz crystal oscillator on a protoboard and couldn't get it to work. I don't know enough about the 4060 to judge, but 8 Mhz seems a bit high.

I'm in the process of building one using the dead bug technique for a show and tell. Basically you superglue all the parts down (a metal surface makes a good ground plane) and wire it point to point. Google "dead bug" for more info.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
You might be lucky at 4MHz. Also you may need to use adjustable values to get the right conditions for stable oscillation. The data sheet shows the smaller of the two capacitors as a 22-37pF trimmer. You may need to trim the 2.2k as well. Maybe someone else has had success with this chip in xtal oscillator mode.

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
I remember that I successfully made a 8051 dev board with a 12MHz of clock with a breadboard. It worked nicely.

However the max baud-rate was 38400bps... I could not get to work at 115200 bauds...

There oscillators circuits can be very boring some times.... For example the crystal oscillator cannot be deformed in any way because this can severely affect the quality of the waveform from the oscillator...

I will buy the necessary components and I will put the 4060 in xtal mode and post the results soon enough.