Spotty Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wendy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    We just went through a major ice storm in Dallas, I was without power for over half a day, and my fios did not make it. So I will only be in and out occasionally.

2. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    You probably already thought of this but if the FIOS power supply is in the garage (like mine is) it may plugged into a GFCI that also serves the outside outlets. I just reset mine due to ice / slop getting into an exposed outlet. No AC, no FIOS internet. Also had to reset the router.

Failing that, there are status LEDs inside the network box outside..

Good luck.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I am very much interested in doing my winter chores right now. The weather is beautiful. Great time to trim trees, paint the back door, and such other things that are very uncomfortable in the summer in Florida. Consider me on vacation from AAC for a few days to a few weeks.

4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Chores = vacation? :) Enjoy!

5. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Well, Jim and I fixed it (sort of). The SLA battery had fully discharged, and apparently the circuitry to recharge it either balked or thought the battery was stone dead. I pulled the battery and connect it to my car charger, which also has a gel cell option. For now we are up. Again, sort of. The question is whether the battery will be charged by the box too.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    It should sometimes the box needs a hard reset to reload everything ... Most of the time K pull the power and the battery and then disconnect all the cords and let sit for a little bit and the reconnect everything see what happens from there..

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    BILL THE T.V. REPORTS ARE FROM COMInG DALLAS...THE WORST WEATHER IN COUNTRY.

8. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I did all that, but the battery was killing the unit. Obviously it is still working, I'm curious if it can maintain now the battery has a starter charge.

We never did get to the mid teens like they predicted, it is 27°F here now.

9. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    It was quite the weather the last few days .... from 70f to 0f in 48 hours. One half inch of ICE on the car. Power failure for about 8-10 hours for me and there were still 100,000 without power earlier today.

Went to starbucks yesterday and on the way a woman went right through the red light she had ... but I was moving extra slow and had my eye on her .... knowing she wasn't going to stop.

Felt like I was back in Michigan ...

10. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Well, the unit is indeed down. I'm charging the battery, and when it is drained, I swap it with another one I had retired from a UPS (same make/model). Looks like how I'll be getting internet until the folks from Verizon arrive.

I'm still aggravated they originally quoted 10 days to repair the unit. It was a robot, so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on them, but still. Phone, internet, TV all in one package, I'd be pretty well cut off without it. When the machine said Dec. 17 I just hung up, and when we called this morning a more reasonable 9-10AM Monday was set.