spider efficiancy

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I was just thinking, spiders are so efficient.

They can live for a month or more without food.
The weight is maybe not even a gram for small spiders.
They can walk up walls freely. And make webs stronger than steel.
And they can make computations using multiple eyes and a small brain, and 8 legs.

Would a robot with a battery ever become so small and efficient?

I just looked at my spider when I came home, she made new cobweb threads, and was hanging outside above the plants, suspended in her web.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
and intelligent. In the wintertime, they invite themselves to homes, and if undisturbed, they just stay. If there's enough food, you can have upto 50 in a room easily- in cupboards, behind a press or wardrobe, under the bed, in boxes, on the ceiling, on the windowsill even inside the windowframe...

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
my spider stays out in the driveway, it has never tried to come into the house. its getting a little old lately, around 40 or so, but still efficient. I hope it never tries to go around upside down, or anywhere without me.

1974 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My wife would not agree with you.
My wife would agree with you and all my girls I raised in the house. Suddenly I hear "Scream" kv, kv, kv

I come and see a "harmless" spider just hanging out having fun; eaten some food.

The Spider; hey man whats up; why you roll'en up just to ruin my day? Squish.

Sorry, I have enough for the both of us outside. They want residence I'm just making room.

kv

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Also I have ants, 2 Rubber dragons, an inflatable dolphin, and a small flytrap plant.
I have spray and some cats that could take care of all of that for you. :D

Now if I could just find a pest spray that works on cats. :rolleyes:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Personally, I don't like spiders webbing up where I have to work. It's messy and I've heard they can bite.
I don't like cats digging up the bare spots in my lawn and using that as their toilet.
On the other hand, when a feral cat is sleeping on the window sill, the stupid bird that attacks his reflection at 6 A.M. doesn't do that and doesn't wake me up at 6 A.M.

I guess I'll let the cat live.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
only the wandering spiders bite, which dont make a web, when they sleep and you accidentally grab them. If they are in a web, they'll retract if you touch it, not like you think, snap out and bite.

Its true they drop down from the ceiling when you sleep, I experienced it once.
Also one time a spider did bite me, it was sitting behind my ears for a while, then moved, I reached out to the irriation and crushed it almost. That kind which wanders around and doesnt make webs.

Steatodas remain in their web almost likely for the rest of their life.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
anyone interested in my spider? She relocated a bit, and extended the cobweb.

I think she recognizes me. Today I turned on the grow light in the evening after a 1 day break, she was working on the web, testing threads, then she retracted slowly into her new hiding place.

Its on the other side of the web, I moved the rubber dragon carton a bit (still in the original selling carton), so there is a little space behind it- maybe she would like that, so I was thinking. Indeed, she moved over within two days.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am a little afraid of spiders, but I am also amazed by them. I see lots of spiders in the woods, and early in the morning when there is a dew, I can sometimes see thousands of little webs in the grass, and I assume there is a spider in each web.

One of my most vivid memories of spiders is of the one I saw outside the window of a restaurant in Shinjuku. The restaurant was on the top floor of a tall hotel (whose name I don't remember,) and specialized in shabu-shabu. I had a seat next to the window, and being somewhat bored with my companion, I began gazing out the window at the great view of nighttime Tokyo. Then, I noticed a tiny spider in the corner of the window. It was outside the window, hundreds of feet from the ground, and I spent the rest of the evening thinking about the spider's lonely life. It made me homesick.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I see lots of spiders in the woods, and early in the morning when there is a dew, I can sometimes see thousands of little webs in the grass, and I assume there is a spider in each web.
My sister lives in Ky. I've seen what you have seen, then I said, "There is a primitive beauty about this place, but it's not my sister". :D