Spice for Beginner

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RobinGriffiths, Aug 16, 2011.

1. RobinGriffiths

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi,

Despite dabbling in electronics for years, this is the first time I've taken an interest in Spice for circuit simulation. I've had a play with some versions, e.g. Topspice, LTSpice, Spice2G.6 command line app.

What I want to do is learn how to define cicruits using spice commands and netlist (in the manner of the 2G.6 command line, but with a rather more sophisticated UI) rather than drawing a schematic circuit. In particular, I was looking at something I can use with the following website http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~jan/spice/spice.overview.html

Any recommendations on best package for this ?

Regards,

Robin

2. Hagen

May 8, 2010
    If you are looking for a text based Spice app, and have access to a Mac, MacSpice is the program I used for several years. The documentation is first rate, and the support was great. The best part is that it is a free download.

3. RobinGriffiths

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi Hagen,

Don't have access to a Mac unfortunately. What I'm after is a windows based text editor, but with nice simulator graphics - those in the command line .exe were text based. Alternatively, I can try an work out how to specify spice text circuits in LTSpice, TopSpice etc.

A slightly different question. What Spice packages are preferred for hobby/education/semi professional usage ?

Cheers,

Robin

4. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    LTSpice and Multisim both use spice for analyzing circuits and I prefer both.
    PSpice also use spice for analyzing circuits.
    In LTSpice you can do that,open notepad write your netlist(define your circuit) now save the file with an extension of *.cir.Now open the file under LTSpice and simulate,LTSpice also provide text editor for writing netlist.

Good luck

5. RobinGriffiths

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks,

I'll give LT Spice a bit more attention then.

Robin

6. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for a Mac version of spice. I tried it out quickly and got it running in a few minutes. Works great.

7. RobinGriffiths

Aug 16, 2011
    After some more research, Tina TI spice does what I was after - at least what I think I was after. There's a netlist editor that I can create/edit directly within the app and apply analysis directly to the .Cir file.

Cheers,

Robin