SPI to PWM conversion

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cork-spotters, Oct 17, 2012.

1. cork-spotters

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I'm working on a project involving LEDs and their wireless control.

My wireless transmitter is using the SPI protocol, but I want to convert this to PWM at the receiver end. I know there are one or two ICs that can perform this conversion, and I've found a suggestion for doing it using a PLD.

What I'd like to do though as a learning exercise is figure out the logic circuitry required to do this conversion. I'm in need of pointing in the right direction though because I'm very new to this.

Could anyone suggest where to begin, or what I should look at?

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    On the surface you would need something that can receive the SPI signal, recover the data, use that data to define a pulse width, then output a pulse train with that same width. That's falling off a log simple for any microcontroller.

*However* I would be very surprised if it's actually the SPI protocol that is being transmitted. Can you post a link to this transmitting device?

3. cork-spotters

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi there, sorry for the confusion. What I should have said is my wireless receiver (a wake up radio) gives me an output as an SPI signal. So for something as simple as turning on/off the light all I need to do is determine the SPI signal coming from my wake up radio and using a microcontroller interpret this to then produce the desired pwm (either on or off)?