SPF in microprocessor

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
hello guys i need your help i need to know the memory address of hardware's like CD,USB etc in microprocessor just like the SPF in microcontroller

is it possible?
thanks!

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
normally in uC we have SBUF which is a fixed location in a memory for data transfer right?so when data arrives we can simply take data from SBUF(like ch=SBUF etc).

in the same way is it possible for uP like for CD,USB etc i mean when we connect USB or other hardware the data from the device must be stored in memory now in which location is the memory stored? and is there any manual we can refer to
(for example the serial port memory address in my system is o3F8).

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
While there are legacy I/O addresses for serial and parallel ports, the ports are not always to be found in a modern computer - assuming you are speaking of a PC. The old parallel port is gone already.

USB ports are not all all the same thing - http://www.lvr.com/usbfaq.htm

And the data transferred comes out of or goes to some unrelated part of memory or even on/off a drive.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
If you are talking about microprocessor in PC then yes they have SFRs ,for that you have to read the datasheet of the processor,but let me make this clear if you are trying to access these address while OS is running then it is not possiable why the OS's kernel will not let you to directly access these hardware resource ,for example to access parallel port or serial port under Windows NT we need to write kernel drivers to access them,ya some OS will let you to do that like Linux but not every hardware resource will be avaliable while OS is running.

Good Luck