Spellchecker

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What browser are you using? I am always adding words to the Google S.C. with Chrome, but many are the British English version, but there are many word that it does not like/recognize.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was teaching the spell checker new words before I discovered AAC, and I wasn't even trying to use British, Latin, Spanish, or German! Some of us simply exceed the capacity of a computer generated dictionary. :(

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
What browser are you using? I am always adding words to the Google S.C. with Chrome, but many are the British English version, but there are many word that it does not like/recognize.
Max.
Thanks for your response!:)

My browser is Firefox 39.0 running on MS windows 7 ultimate...

FWIW the spellchecker seems to have lost the faculty of 'verbal proximity' --- In many cases simple transposition of 'i' and 'e' result in a list of incorrect suggestions:rolleyes: -- Moreover it now fails to recognize inflections of common words ("criticality" and "disassembly" being two particularly egregious examples)...

Another (albeit longstanding) annoyance is its insistence upon New-World/colloquial spellings of certain words -- For example the spellchecker 'takes issue' with the following correctly spelled words: behaviour, artefact, colour, tyre, ardour, familiarise, initialise, harbour, metre, ionise...) to cite but a few recent aggravations:mad:

Like I said -- no big deal but Jeeeezzzze!:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I assume the *or (color) instead of *our (colour) is the American usage, like many of the other differences, #er instead of #re (Liter/Litre).
How do you specify AAC A.S.?
I assumed mine is Chrome/Google.
Max.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I did not know that existed because I only attained spell-checker status when I enabled it for Firefox. My, "new" words ride with my browser, not my websites.
So... Am I to understand that the spellchecker is a feature of my browser and nothing to do with AAC?:confused::cool:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you right click on a misspelled word, you should see a link or a clue in the list.
Oddly my Chrome S.C. has an option for language, but American English is the only option!!
Max.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
If you right click on a misspelled word, you should see a link or a clue in the list.
Oddly my Chrome S.C. has an option for language, but American English is the only option!!
Max.
It seems that way to me.
Yup! 'Tis all my browser after all!:eek: --- In the words of E. Litella; "never mind..." --- Which, for the benefit of those unversed in the ways of ancient comedy 'my stupid!':oops::oops::oops:

Abashedly
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I assume the *or (color) instead of *our (colour) is the American usage, like many of the other differences, #er instead of #re (Liter/Litre).
How do you specify AAC A.S.?
I assumed mine is Chrome/Google.
Max.
FWIW: As far as I'm concerned 'Colour', 'Litre', etc... are the correct spellings whereas 'color', 'liter', etc... are colloquialisms which should not, by any stretch of logic, be the default for any spell correction platform -- what's next? 'nite' vs 'night':rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

PS: I've just noticed -- The SC does not object to 'nite'!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I thought that was Rosanne Rosanadana (Saturday Night Live, ~1968?)
Actually: Emily Litella Ca. (originally) 1977 --- Owing to 'tender years' I missed the live broadcasts:(
FWIW: Rosane Rosanada and Emily Litella were 'products' of the same performer (to wit: Gilda Radner)

Re: spelling conventions:
Not biting. I'm not! :rolleyes:
Probably A good move --- this sort of 'thing' tends to get 'political' rather quickly:eek:

Best regards
HP:)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Contemporary dictionaries continue to change. The authors say they are trying to reflect current use of words (as compared to correct use of words). It is my opinion that this is not the proper role of a dictionary and not an improvement.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I'm sure that dictionaries attempt to reflect the word usage as practiced in the country they are printed in.
i.e. A spell checker of American origin would tend to differ from that of Britain and Commonwealth countries.
Max.