Speed control of 3 phase induction motor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by han, Oct 25, 2007.

1. han

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    hi guys,im new to tis forum
    currently im doin a project bout design a cicuit to control the speed of a 3 phase induction motor, i already hav the inverter circuit, but im having a problem to get the firing circuit.do anyone have a sample for this?really thank you if can give me a hand here...

2. Sebi

Sep 24, 2005
  3. han

Oct 25, 2007
    thankz,but im doing a manually speed control circuit..is there any simple circuit that doesn't require any pic or plc?thankz lot for da help

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I don't think a three phase waveform can be controlled manually. You have to alter frequency to control speed.

5. han

Oct 25, 2007
    then how do i alter the frequency?

6. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    by increasing the firing rate of the inverter components.
    usually mosfet's or IGBT's

7. han

Oct 25, 2007
    in the inverter circuit i have 6 IGBT s, but how do i control the firing rate?

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    As above: use a microprocessor. Look up "induction motor speed control" on Google.

9. han

Oct 25, 2007
    oh.means to control the speed of an induction motor we still need a microprocessor la?theres no other way?

10. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Of course there are other ways. But they are far more complicated and less reliable than using a microprocessor. You could, for example, gang together a control to simultaneously vary both motor supply voltage and the frequency from a VCO. It would be quite challenging to design and adjust, though. You would have to do a lot more soldering, too. In the long run, it would probably be more expensive as well. And less reliable. But you could do it.