Spectral analysis of a square wave and individual step responses?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Shocker33, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Shocker33

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi,

I would like to do some spectral analysis of some square waves and step responses. I would like to see what frequency the noise that is sat in the signal is, in a hope to either find the parasitics that lay within my circuit and nerf them or be able to design a filter them out. I would also like to see the bandwidth within the signal. Eg. I know that the sharper a rising/falling edge is, the higher the bandwidth of the signal. As i want to verify that the bandwidth is as desired.

I assume that i would just do an FFT on the captured waveforms to obtain what i'm looking for?

I've been looking at windowing to improve the results. Am i correct to believe that for a square wave i should use a uniform/rectangular/no window since it has leading and following zeros?
    I'm not sure what i should use for the step response.....my gut instinct says i should also use a rectangular window because i imagine that all other windows will distort the waveform before being processed by the FFT. But a step response won't have both leading and following zeros, they'll just have one of the other. So what would i do here?

Thanks

2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Are you talking about a data stream or just a pulse?

3. Shocker33

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm talking about just a single pulse.

4. Shocker33

Oct 28, 2013
    But i didn't want to say pulse on the chance that people think i mean an impulse. As the pulse length is ten to twenty times longer than the leading edge.

5. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Maybe an example would help.
    Do you have a circuit with an example of the step?