Specs for a LED display module

Riccarr

Joined Nov 17, 2013
Hello,

Since I recently put in an aftermarket stereo in my car, a 2010 Ford Fusion SE, the information display unit no longer serves any purpose since it use to display the OEM radio information.

I'm interested in interfacing with the LED screen using my Arduino microcontroller and wondering if anyone knows of any specs about what display driver, or the wiring, etc, that I might be able to code my arduino to display values on the screen.

Here is an eBay link to a unit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-Ford-Fusion-Infomation-Screen-Monitor-9E5T-19C116-AE-Bulk-4018-/360840349186?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

From the images we can see it is a Sanyo Automedia product, 9E5T-19C116-AE. I've done some searching by cannot find any datasheet or specifications.

Thanks for any tips or information.
Eric

Riccarr

Joined Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for pointing me to the CAN BUS technology. I've been reading about it now enough to have a layman's understanding of it.

What I want to do is program my Arduino connected to this device and display data on the VFD display of this unit.

I've taken this unit apart and it has a MB90F352 IC chip; this chip has CAN BUS abilities, therefore I presume this whole display unit is a CAN BUS node device.

In looking at the wiring that plugs into this device I see it has as 12 pin plug however only 4 pins actually have wires from the plug into the unit. I presume 2 are for power +/-, and the other 2 are for the CANBUS signaling. That's my assumption only so far.

I know there are arduino CAN BUS shields available (with MCP2551 chip), however they seem to be for talking onto the canbus network (like connecting to the OBD port).

If I am wiring directly to a device (node) like this display unit, do I still need to go the shield approach? In other words, do I need to use the MCP chip to talk to the device or can the arduino (with appropriate libraries) talk directly to this device via 2 wires?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Unfortunately the only custom BUS programming I have done is for a version of Modbus, I have never delved into CanBus any further than the OBD port.
Max.