Specialized Switching for a Counter

Bill B

Joined Nov 29, 2009
I'm working on a personal project that will count the number of people entering a room. The circuitry for this is fairly simple, but the problem I am facing involves people being counted when they leave the room. The plan is to use infrared sensors to detect a person passing through the door. What I need is for the counter to increment once every two times the sensor triggers the circuit. I have considered latches, flip-flops, counters,and a mux but cannot find any way to accomplish what I need. Have I missed something or is there something I have not considered?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
What will your detector do when somebody enters and another person leaves at the same time?

What about people who are side-by-side?

What about skinny or very fat people?

What about very short and very tall people?

Bill B

Joined Nov 29, 2009
The doorway is not wide enough for two people to fit thru at the same time. A person's body will break the beam as they walk thru the doorway so their general body type won't matter. The accuracy of the count doesn't need to be exact anyway. I am trying to make it as close as possible. I could just set it up and divide the total by 2 at the end of the day but I want something more sophisticated.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, you really need two sensors; one more towards the inside of the room, one more towards the outside.

If the sensor on the outside gets activated first, the counter needs to increment by 1 when the inside sensor gets activated.

If the sensor on the inside gets activated first, the counter needs to decrement by 1 when the sensor on the outside gets activated.