Special avatar

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by AMIT_GOHEL, Oct 30, 2010.

1. AMIT_GOHEL

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Can you provide special aviator for various types of member.
    Like special aviator for sinear member.so that he can put that as logo/as sign in resume or presentations.

I.e type "Forum Nokia Champian" in google..

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Do you mean avatar?

What about people that don't have or don't want one? Or, those who are completely happy with what they have? So far as I know, you can pick almost any avatar you want and are free to use it in any way that you want.

John

3. AMIT_GOHEL

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Hi japanhalt,

I mean Avatar,as logo/picture(in my case earth as ckt),nt hinduism though.

You provide it for every type of members(juniar,sinear etc..) nd do not force to take it as logo.but when they are appearing for interview or presentation at that time he did not need to write he's sinior member at AAC.
    logo with name will reflect that.

Sorry for typos nd grammetical mistakes.

Cheak the site forumdiscussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You can select your own. I drew my own, and helped my boy find his (which we modified to suit). VBullitien, the software this site uses, is extremely flexible in that reguard. I see you have done that.

As for membership status, that is posted also, with text. It too is automatic.

Having a lot of posts doesn't make you an expert. You kinda have to judge each member as you go, though some do stand out in expertise.

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Hey, spelling and grammar are not a problem. At least you try to spell the words and do much better than I would do with your native language. What bugs me is when individuals who should know better post such nonsense as "ny1" for "anyone." I must admit, I did click on this thread because airplanes are one of my passions.

As for avatars, I just don't think any type of standardization is on the horizon or even desirable.

John

6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    No, avatars are very flexible as they are and shouldn't be changed in my opinion.

Membership status on the other hand is something I have thought about a bit more. True, other sites have many more ranks and judge their members by rep points, instead of post number. This makes more sense, but I 'm not sure if I would like AAC to risk to become a site of competition for rank.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I couldn't disagree more, particularly when you consider how rep points are awarded and the abuses thereof. Let's keep it a decent forum. Someone with lots of rep points can be just as wrong as a newbie.

John

8. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    @jpanhalt

Don't get me wrong.
    As I said in the second part of the phrase:

9. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    As a newb I am completely satisfied with what ever I am givin for a rank and have no issue with it being changed as time passes. An avatar that is designed to denote seniority is a bad idea for a number of reasons. First and foremost post count does not insure knowledge. Second, time on the forum is imaterial, I spend a lot of time here because I am disabled, so I would get too many "points" from the mere fact that I have no job. Third, different people have different levels of expertise within different areas. Just because I am a GM Master tech doesnt mean I really know anything about a Honda for instance. Electronics is the same way, you might "know" 555's better than anybody, but lack expertise in say capacior selection (just an example, not true or meant to point to anybody). Finally, an assigned avatar may or may not suit an individuals personal or ethnic sensibilities. Some pics are inapropriate for certain individuals. So, leave it alone and let the individual choose his own and avoid any possibility of offending any one, and every one can be as unique as they would like since the are free to choose their own. Time and experience weed out the chaff, and the creme always rises to the top. Just the thoughts of a newb...
    Bob

10. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Quote:
    "Avatar is a Sanskrit word that means the incarnation of a god on earth"

Is this true?

Reminded me of a line from Groundhog Day

Phil: I'm a god.
    Rita: You're God?
    Phil: I'm a god. I'm not *the* God... I don't think.

11. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I find the widespread acceptance and use of avatar's by certain fundamentalist cultures as amusing, given its origins. John

12. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I do not see the need of assigned avatars.
    I have a cat as avatar, it is my own cat Toto here at home.
    As for member levels, there are 4 normal levels:
    New member for 1 - 9 posts,
    Junior member for 10 to 49 posts,
    Member for 50 - 99 posts and
    Senior member for more tan 100 posts.

There are 4 special titles for the members:
    Administrator : these are taking care about the adminitrative matters for the forum.
    Moderators : these are taking care of the things like hijacking (moving posts to theirs own thread), moving posts to a more appropriate place and spam.
    E-book developers : these are writing and correcting sections for the ebook on this site.
    E-book Co-ordinator : he takes the corrections and newly made sections from the E-book developers and places them on the e-book.

I must admit thet the number of posts says not much about the experience of the member.
    Also as Rbeckett said, one can be master in one section of the electronics and a noob in an other section.

Bertus

13. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Post Count != ability. I'm a perfect example of that. I make plenty of erros, especially in the 2 hours after waking up, or the 4 before going to sleep.

Yes, I'm only "effective" to my satisfaction about 2 hrs/day.

14. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    First off...I agree with bertus & john.

I think u guys are misunderstanding OP's point. He wants an avatar that could reflect him.
    OP is a member of AAC, how good or bad, I dunno, but I think he wants AAC to give him an avatar or a logo which he could put in his presentations.
    Which will make him proud.
    So Instead of asking for one, for him, he said it in a way to include all the members.

To assign avatar ranks for AAC members. Including him.
    I think he is thinks very highly of this forum.

15. AMIT_GOHEL

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2010

yes true,
    as per Hindu(our) philosophy there's a single god in entire universe.

Ram,Krishna,Ishu Kriste,allah are avatar of single God.

but this is not my topic of discussion..

16. AMIT_GOHEL

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Thanks for explaining what i actually mean..:)
    forum is going towards the avator discussion..:confused:

17. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    HAH!! Take that to Cambridge scholars :D

18. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    OK - sorry to divert the serious intention of the discussion.

So AAC collectively (??) comes up with either a single or agreed set of avatars which are optionally assigned to members according to some simple metric - let's say the present member classification is applied if desired.

Who decides on the avatar(s)? I suspect those members who already have avatars would be happy to stay with what they already have. It's presumably about reflecting something in your personality or life experience that you are comfortable with.

Bertus has a nice cat.

R!f@@ apparently has a devilish streak.

Being a member of AAC is great and possibly something to take pride in. My wife however thinks it's a bit 'nerdy'. I prefer not to take myself too seriously.

19. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I am the evil genius here. Not too genius but more evil. I think sometimes I tend to make members angry. Not my intention but I ends up doing it. But I do always get along.

And u TNK..I think U are a nerd. :D

As for defining Avatars ...not a good idea. More prefer the way it is now.

20. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I understand where the OP is coming from..

I think it would be abused. Scammers could "apply" the "Approved by AAC" avatar to their work and then try to sell a product that appears to be sanctioned or accepted by the ACC community as a whole.

Thats no good.

The avatar, as used here on AAC, helps us display individuality and personality while being part of a community.

Being here is enough to show you are a part. An icon or "stamp" can and will be used improperly.