Speaker Wire Connecting Problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Naseeb Dangi, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Naseeb Dangi

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I had a speaker with headphone jack and usb cable. Suddenly it sound weird so i tried o repair it myself. SO i cut down all wires and now i m confused which wire to connect with which. Okay, I have following things:

first speaker with white and green wire
    another speaker with red and black wire
    usb cable with black and red wire
    headphone jack with blue, green and white wire.

please say me that which wire to connect with which wire.

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Wire insulation color is not sufficiently standardized to comply with your request. More detailed information regarding interconnections and signals present would be required. Additionally, your USB connector should have four or five wires unless it's being used in a nonstandard way.

Out of curiosity, what prompted you to believe that cutting everything apart would be a good diagnostic or repair technique?

Naseeb Dangi likes this.
  3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    A cheap multimeter, in ohms mode, would allow you to determine which wire goes to which conductor.

Naseeb Dangi likes this.
  4. Naseeb Dangi

Apr 7, 2016
    I thought i will cut all wires and find some defect in wire

I will post picture

How to Provide U details. Can u guide.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  5. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Possibly, after I see the picture(s).

6. Naseeb Dangi

Apr 7, 2016
    IMG_20160407_225226.jpg IMG_20160407_225158.jpg IMG_20160407_225131.jpg

Moderators note: removed the multiple same pictures

its showing problem for uploading picture if u are on facebook then please add me so i can send u pics

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Just use a multimeter on the jacks you cut off, to map the colors to the pins of those jacks.

8. Tonyr1084

Sep 24, 2015
    Are those computer speakers? If so, that gives me reason to think that maybe the red and black wires are providing power while the white and green may be Left and Right speaker leads that may be common to ground (the black wire). HOWEVER: Don't accept my comments as the "Right" solution to the problem. We haven't seen inside the speakers, we don't know that they require power or anything else you haven't explained to us.

Without knowing more it's difficult for us to help.

9. Naseeb Dangi

Apr 7, 2016
    Yeh they are computer speaker and usb used to give power to speaker. So now can u give me the color combination of whiuch wire with which. Because i dont have any materials.

10. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    No, I can not do anything but guess. If I had those speakers and wanted to continue working on them, I would open them up so that I could see where the various colored wires go. I cannot recommend that to you, because you may damage them further trying to open them. But that's what I would do.

KJ6EAD likes this.
  11. Tonyr1084

Sep 24, 2015
    What wayneh said.