Speaker mounting

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by djsfantasi, Nov 13, 2014.

1. djsfantasi

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    In another thread, Bertus said,
    I have a speaker just mounted with a wire in my animatronic penguin. Taking Bertus' suggestion, does anyone have any recommendations on how to improve the mounting. I want most of the sound to come from the speaker front.
    image.jpg

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    it is the bass content that suffers most. if your program content has little to no bass then you wont notice much difference in an enclosure mounted speaker vs what you have.

3. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    Ok, there's little Bass content. It's all voice which has been shifted up so the penguin sounds cartoony. But I was wondering how to maximize the sound volume. It currently is amplified by a basic LM386 amplifier circuit and can be heard in a room if you are near the figure. I was trying to improve the quality of sound. I know it's small speaker, but as you can see there's not much room for a larger one.

4. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Personal there is a huge difference between a box mounted and non box mounted speakers... I would mount it in some kind of encloser or project to better help the quality of sound and the direction.. Also look around with all the fancy design out there .They are all or mostly mounted with some kind of encloser wiether its bass or not ... I have never seen an opened air speaker on both sides ...

5. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    Would the rear be ported at all?

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What you are missing is called the speaker baffle. The main purpose of the baffle and the enclosure is to prevent the backward wave from interfering and cancelling out the forward wave.

Since you are not interested in good bass response, I wouldn't worry about a port. Your main focus ought to be finding a solid flat panel to mount the speaker that faces the listener.

Since that speaker does not have mounting holes, you will have to use clamps around the rim of the speaker. They can be as simple as a three screws with washers.

Check this out for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  8. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    Change to an 8 Ohm speaker. You will get nearly 2 times the power to the speaker.

Bob

9. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    For voice speakers you don't need much of a enclosure. A short tube would be fine (piece of plastic sewer pipe or cardboard mailing tube for example).

djsfantasi likes this.
  10. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Fix a board (as large as possible with a suitably sized hole or holes cut in it) to those two vertical posts and glue the loudspeaker to it. Or, you could mount it onto one of the existing discs that form the chassis.

djsfantasi likes this.
  11. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    Using the vertical posts is an idea. The mouth opening is straight ahead and parallel to the plane formed by the posts.

12. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    Sounds like a good idea, but to be honest I don't understand your picture?

13. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    You put the speaker inside the ice cream cup and cone facing out.

14. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    Ahhh! Now I get it. The diagram is a cross section of the cup. Thanks, I kept seeing in perspective an object beside a cylinder inside a frame.